Higher and Higher

I can smash the medium workout no problem but the fast workout for Higher and Higher I just can’t get my index and middle fingers to pluck cleanly and quickly enough, I’m tripping over myself. I’ve tried practicing to the full song but it is the same thing. How can I get better at my right hand technique?

8 Likes

@RemoteOutpost, do you mean alternating your plucking fingers (index and middle)?

If so, you could just pick any note on the fretboard and do nothing but practice playing that note and only focusing on alternating.

If you mean the syncopation part of the lesson, that will take a LOT more practice. :slight_smile:

All best, Joe

5 Likes

As I recall, that was a challenging piece. Just mastering the medium workout is a great feat.
As Joe stated, this is one of those things that can only be accomplished with loads and loads of practice.

5 Likes

@RemoteOutpost Sometimes my fingers start to feel like they are stuck to the strings like old bubble gum. It is then I realize I need to rest my newfangled muscles like I do when I work out. Having a good night’s rest, away from the workout, will resolve so many issues! I think it gives my body/mind a chance to integrate all this new knowledge. You are doing very well!

7 Likes

Thank you. I thought Billie Jean was impossible when I first played it but now I can easily do the fast workout. I guess I just have to give it time and develop the right muscles.

5 Likes

That’s a pretty big step. If you can get Billie Jean on fast workout then you will get there with Higher and Higher.

5 Likes

Best advice.
Hear hear!

3 Likes

You might try this.
Pick one note and play with the 1-2 fingers.

Play da-da-da-da etc. evenly over and over.

Then do a syncopation da-d-da-d-da… alternating fingers.

Then the opposite d-da-d-da…alternating fingers.

Might help.

1 Like

I have really been enjoying playing along with bass tabs on line. One song I can now do while looking out the window…”Brick in the Wall “ Pink Floyd with E string tuned to D. I’ve been working on and making great progress on “Ever Seen The Rain” and my hub can play his guitar along with that. I learned to slide my fingers with the hook of that riff, so thanks @JoshFossgreen for ninja skills! I also started “Money” Pink Floyd, which I can tell is going to be really fun to do. I need to memorize notes and nail regular scales, though. It’s my warrior weakness.:grin:

3 Likes

While you’re going through Pink’s catalogue, @HannahWalker… I had a link to a play-along version (with scores and tabs) of “Comfortably Numb” a few weeks backs (mid-Nov) in the “Share some good music Friday” thread - not too hard to play along! Might want to check that out :smile:

3 Likes

It’s a really fun (and rewarding) song to learn @HannahWalker!! The timing for that song is key, 4/4; 6/4; 7/4; 8/4. Not to mention chuggin’ “B” notes like you ain’t never chugged before!!

Actually, the song is one of my daily practice songs that I play for warm up before moving on to learn another new song. Have fun with it!! I certainly did…

4 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter! I’ll do it this instant!

1 Like

@joergkutter now that is soooooo fun and relaxing, even!

2 Likes

Well, it’s just, uhm… comfortably numb, I guess :grin:

3 Likes

Well said, @joergkutter!

2 Likes

I’m having that problem too. My fingers can move fast enough. Or I can get the syncopation right. But both at the same time is killing me. It helps that I love the song, so my “motivation cheat” has been to skip the eighth note on the C# (? i think?) and make it a quarter. Then I can follow along and enjoy the song and then every few bars I try to do it in eighths again. I’m slowly increasing the number of times I can get that right.

2 Likes

Have you tried slowing the song down? Syncopated notes are a challenge, but the timing when those notes are struck is critical. I still have to slow songs down to learn the groove and then build the speed of the song up as I begin to master the riff. At least it seems to work for me…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

I do slow down videos on YouTube but I thought 0.75 and normal speed were only real options until I just discovered you can set the speed to any increment of 0.05 by using the custom option in speed. Nice… so now I can start at about 0.8 and pick it up in 0.05 increments. Youtube pitch shifts too so the video stays in tune with you.

2 Likes