Hiring a Bass Coach

Sure. The technology has become better. So much so that it’s possible to have bass lessons online. I agree with Pam on this one that it doesn’t mean it’s desireable.

I think it’s pretty comparable to working in home office and for that I have a lot of experience from a few different companies and overall I gotta say: It is possible to only work from home (if there’s trust) but it is always desireable to work together in an office.

The only reason I would consider such a thing is if I went through a few bass teachers and decided I don’t like them/can’t have them as teacher. Maybe after the third useless teacher I might consider it. But I would still try to find one in real life. Technology has gotten better but not good enough to simulate someone being next to you.

4 Likes

How true that is, @juli0r . . . :neutral_face:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Amen.

On the teaching side, I am always struck by how much harder I have to work to clarify an idea/comment when I’m working online as opposed to in person.
In person lessons are immediate, direct - it’s the best.

9 Likes

I would too. Maybe he will give us a good group rate? See you there. Lol

4 Likes

We discussed @JoshFossgreen holding a bass camp in Northern California in another thread, but nothing ever became of it.

3 Likes

From the guy who was absolutely certain he wanted a passive bass, who now sits with an ACTIVE, THREE, count them, THREE band EQ bass he just took home that is PERFECT FOR HIM.

4 Likes

I am sure they are, if it were possible to have in person lessons with my teacher, I would be all for it, but it’s not an option, so this is the next best thing.
The morale of the story is it’s possible, not ideal, however, possible is better then nothing.

Second morale of the story, @PamPurrs found something that is POSSIBLY IDEAL, good for you BABG!!!

3 Likes

You paint it as being the same and it isn’t.

I thought I didn’t want an active bass but I was not sure from the beginning. It’s a topic I barely touched until 2 months ago and of course my opinions about this topic are very loose and change a lot with new information and experience. That much is obvious.
With the comparison of “just video” and “in person” I have a lot of experience as stated.
You can ask my girlfriend how often I change my mind and how founded my opinions usually are in a topic I feel comfortable with / am experienced and knowledgeable enough to have founded opinions.

Also don’t twist the words in my mouth. Never is something else than “on this condition” :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You are right, I was not meaning it as a matter of fact, and generalized it, and I can see your point of view about the statement, I am sorry and publicly retract that statement,

However, unless you tried a music lesson.ine, with a good teacher (I am not saying you have not, maybe you have) it’s not the same as working online. So yes you have experience with online collaboration, as have I, and it is different when you are learning something you enjoy, at least for me it is,

I mean, B2B is online, we all did that. What’s the difference if you are learning bass online, but in person with the sam instructor, that you already know from B2B?

Anyway, Sorry @juli0r, when I quoted that, it was my Pathalogical smart ass coming out, it was really not meant to be that serious, like it’s become. I will drop is since 5he humor was not found.

3 Likes

You’re already there… but… I’m sure even Badassery has further tiers to it to explore :wink:
Great thread to bump - memory lane here, even though it wasn’t that long ago!

I’ve tried an online lesson with Josh and another with Gio - totally worth it!! But, I can understand wanting a live one-on-one, face to face instructor. I think with Josh and Gio, first, I was just kind of starstruck to be on Skype with them - I never had a bass playing idol I wanted to be like, and, if someone asks me who my influences are, well, it’s them. Just shooting the breeze with them about bass playing and life was worth it to me, but they also gave me concrete plans to work on based on where I was. Might be worth at least 1 lesson with them, it’s way different than their videos or forum help.

But, let us know how the in-person lessons go!

5 Likes

Yep

Yep

3 Likes

@T_dub and @Vik since you both have done online lessons with @JoshFossgreen and/or @Gio, perhaps you can explain exactly how that works. Do you stand in front of your laptop with the camera and mic on and play bass along with the instructor? Do you talk to him on the phone during the lesson or is it all done through the mic and speaker on your laptop?
I’ve never done any kind of video conferencing, despite 30+ years of working from a home office, so I’m totally clueless.

4 Likes

For my setup, I have a desktop computer, with a small $20 USB camera and mic clipped on to the monitor, but, it should work the same way with a laptop with built in camera and mic. I pre-set up my stool a short distance from the camera, and made sure myself and my bass appeared in the software window of what the other party could see (Josh uses Skype, Gio uses Zoom - both are not too hard to learn and configure, and, probably worth it in this time of the popularity and rise of video conferencing). Luckily both are free, and, are not too complicated to set up.

You then dial their number via the software, or wait for them to dial yours (Skype), or, enter a pre-arranged conference room number (Zoom). So, the whole thing is hands-free, as you’re just using the computer’s mic and camera, and, if your internet connection is half-way decent, it’s pretty seamless and synchronized.

Once you’re set up, the technical stuff is forgotten about. You’re just sitting (or you could stand too, a little further from the camera), and having a conversation. And you can lead with what you want to get from the lesson, and also let them sort of guide it too. In my lessons, I actually didn’t end up playing much. Sometimes I watched them play. A lot of it was guidance on stuff like “what do I do next with this journey of bass playing”, or “so, how did you get into _______, what was your journey like?”, stuff like that, but each student is probably a little different in what they want to get from it.

5 Likes

Tbh, it’s the concrete plan I was really after.

In what little time a lesson is, it’s more about what to do after the lesson, before the next lesson. Just like a continuation of B2B.
Because in 30 min, it’s not like you have time to just sit and play. I get it if you are being taught a song, and want the one on one, but even then, it’s limited by time. It’s still about what you are going to be doing when you are alone between lessons.

B2B gave me a great, guided outline, and a way to learn. The INFORMATION was great. The excercises were great because we learned, and played the bass.
During each lesson, you did about an 10 min total video, including the workouts, and then worked mostly on your own to work on the lesson, and practice until you could complete it and go to the next module or lesson.
When you had questions, you came here, and used posts, audio tracks or videos of your playing to get help and feedback.

After B2B, there are other courses you can buy from other sites. Books you can get, countless YT videos that can have your head spinning in no time, and for me, a lot of confusion.
I get a lot from here, from all of you, not in person, but what I needed, or wanted, was more direction.

Online lessons, 2 hours a month, have given me all the material I needed to progress, and know I am on a solid path again, Nobody has to do it, and for some, even if tried, it still might not end up being what you want or are looking for.
I just know we all did online lessons already, and I have not heard complaints about the video lessons, so I don’t understand the apprehension and aversion to the idea, when it’s basically the same, it’s just when you have questions, the guy with the banana answers you, and talks directly to you, so nstead of making rock n roll faces and rocking out. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

The thing is: I see no reason for me to try an online lesson first. I can understand that you took the opportunity with Josh as one feels already connected to him due to the B2B lessons. I don’t have that opportunity due to timezones. When looking for another teacher I don’t see any reason to try it online first. Especially when people having experience with the comparison of both like @Gio, even though from the other side, agree with my assessment.

Also let me turn this around and ask you if you ever had lessons in real life to compare the online lessons to?

3 Likes

I had piano lessons in person and they were 50 million times better than just following a video. But your mileage may vary depending how you want to the learn, the quality of the instructor, your ability to understand, etc. Lots of variables.

2 Likes

There’s a huge difference between online lessons and live interactive video lessons.
When I take online lessons I can watch it while eating breakfast or in the kitchen washing dishes, or folding clothes… whatever; then watch it again the next day or the next month. I can watch and practice each lesson as much as needed until it sinks in. Josh doesn’t know what I’m doing or wearing while I’m watching the lessons in B2B, nor would he care. He recorded the lesson months or years ago and now is doing something else while I’m watching him.

Interactive online lessons are totally different: It’s live… here and now. He sees you and you see him in real time. There’s no chance to watch it again another time. Huge difference.

4 Likes

Yes! This!
Also I sometimes talked to Josh in a way I never would if he could hear me. Example:
“So let’s go over the cho…”
“NO! It’s i iii IV V and I’m skipping to the next rep”

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s more of a personal conversation, live. The pre-recorded videos are helpful for sure, but, this is your time to be with the instructor, custom tailored to your needs. And, just to have a human interaction with them, even if through the medium of video conferencing.

I’ve never tried the one-on-one with a non video conferenced bass instructor though, so I am curious about this. I’m sure that’s another experience altogether, and, I remember Gio even recommending everyone do this at some point. There’s gotta be something great about a live instruction session, if you have a good vibe with the teacher. Probably the same reason why video conferencing will never fully replace actual live instruction!

5 Likes

Yes, the fact that Josh can’t see what you’re playing and how good you are is a huge factor. Josh provides everything he can (and it’s pretty much nailed), but there will be times when if the instructor is in the room, and can hear you play, the option is then available for the instructor to stop you and say, hang on, that’s not quite right. Let’s see what’s going on there" etc

5 Likes