Hiss from volume pot

I’ve noticed that my Warwick has an annoying hiss/buzz which stops when earth it out with my hand.
Is it likely to be a bad pot ( I hope not) or just a gap in the shielding that needs sorting ?
The wiring looks pretty tidy but in all honesty I’ve not delved too deep into things.
Oh and it gets worse when the bass is using its active circuit.
TIA

3 Likes

Sounds like grounding to me.

3 Likes

Unless you’re in AU, then look for snakes :smile:

5 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Good point. Could be a Clock Spider.

4 Likes

I’ll take the rear cover off tomorrow and see if the ground wire to the pot is attached properly @howard
Hopefully there’s no snakes or spiders involved :scream:

4 Likes

Please don’t…

4 Likes

Is this a good place to post my “what the hell is this noise” question?

2 Likes

Sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ahh… it was a silly noob question, i bought a new bass and i think i was nervous that i was gonna find something wrong enough to have to send it back. So while i was fine tooth combing it, i may have been looking for something to be wrong. I noticed that when i roll the vol & tone knobs quickly through their full range i could hear em hitting their stopping point through the amp, kinda sounded like it would sound if you were to tap the pickups with a coin. I’d never noticed that before in other basses, but i guess i wasn’t really looking for it either and i can make another bass make that sound too, but not quite as loud, under the same conditions ie. it only happens when i have my morley fuzz wah and 2 other pedals switched on at the same time and turn the vol&tone knobs fast enough

2 Likes