Hofner Ignition Strap Issues

And yes, the earlier hofner basses were built differently with the neck being somewhat higher with an opening under it where a strap could be routed.

1 Like

Looks like an interesting way of dealing with neck dive, @Fchazz . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks for your suggestion, and let us know how well it worked for you!

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

I have tried all different kinds of fixes for the inherent neck dive of my Hofners; some work better than others. This 1 lb. scuba diver weight (counter balance) worked the best, but I found it to be a bit cumbersome.

What I finally settled on is to just use my 4.5 inch leather strap on them. The leather grips my shoulder enough to retard the neck dive somewhat, but I find that I don’t mind lifting the headstock occasionally while playing. I’ve watched videos of Paul playing, and notice that he lifted his quite a bit, and he used a skinny strap.

2 Likes

This setup deals more with solving the tendency of the bass to tilt away from you then neck dive. I don’t really experience neck dive, not enough to bother me anyway.

3 Likes

I don’t have that problem since I keep my forearm rested on the body while playing, which keeps it from tilting forward. However, when I release my forearm it does tilt forward, so I can see where you’d have an issue if you play with a different style than I do.

1 Like