How can I be heard through the mix ( a non scientific approach to sound)

That’s pretty cool. I have read that Aguilar rates their amps lower than what it can do but I never found anything like this to verify it.

That’s pretty refreshing compared to all the budget companies who rate their amps on the high side.

I’ve seen a number of comments about how Peavey watts are really loud watts and wondered if they were doing the same thing.

3 Likes

Thanks for corroborating that story! I like that too. My respect for Aguilar goes up knowing they are willing to stand purely on quality even if it makes them look more expensive. My sinister side wants to know if the 350 and the 500 actually have the same power stage, heh heh. According to the reputation, I’d guess not.

3 Likes

Possibly with a power transformer stepping the voltage up to 220 before feeding the board :slight_smile:

Watts are watts, is there a full power spec for the IcePower board’s input at various levels? i.e. 450W at 230V/2A input power?

2 Likes

I don’t know what board is in the Aguilar 500, so can’t really say anything about it. IcePower makes a full range, so I’d guess it has the next step up in the product range.

Yes, the spec on the IcePower 125ASX is 450 Watts typical at 230 Volts supply. They de-rate to 380 Watts typical for 115 Volt supply.

3 Likes

I was reading about ampeg 410hlf on the company website. They stated the 4 10’s moved 10% more air than 2 18’s and 25% more air than 3 15’s. I don’t know if this is specifically concerning ampeg or if they claim that in general.

2 Likes

There isn’t enough info there to make an accurate calculation. If you go strictly by the total surface area of the speakers, then yes, it has POTENTIAL to move more air. Other factors include applied power, design frequency response, load impedance, etc.
Having said that, moving air is not all there is. If you like the way YOU SOUND through that amp, that carries more weight IMHO. Also, you can’t go by the sound you hear on the sales video. They process the crap out of the sound before they put it out there.
On another note, Ampeg is a good brand that is known for a warm, fat sound.

1 Like

Just an addendum to the last post: I did the math for surface area of the speakers and 3 15s have more area than 4 10s if I did my math right.

2 Likes

Substantially more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a living room fan that moves more air than all 3 of those designs. It even has a 3 position tone control!

4 Likes

Guys excuse me while I get my shovel and dig this thread up for kind of an o/t/ question…

A friend is buying her daughter a guitar for Christmas and she’s asked me for advice on what to get. I’m already lending her my Ibanez 300 and Fender 25 so I’m hoping she’s not going to wander too far from the way of bass but anyway…

I think a good choice is a Squier Telecaster (she’s into Rolling stones, Zeppelin, Nirvana) and may be playing in a school band. The question is what kind of amp will she need? I’m guessing a small transistor combo amp, but I’m not sure about the power. How much is she going to need to play with a small band including maybe a drummer? 20W ?

Also any tips about guitar amps would be welcome - we’re heading off to the guitar shop on Thurs … :slight_smile:

1 Like

20w won’t really be enough, with transistors. I’d go for 40/50w if possible.

A modeling amp can be cool, Line 6 does cool and affordable things that pretty much do it all. Also it’s a way for her to figure out what kind of guitar tone she likes, and so, what amps she will look at in the future.

4 Likes

Thanks! 40 / 50 W? I’m just checking the website and it looks like the cheapest 40W combos are a Laney AH40 and a Fender Champion. I think modelling amps may be out of her price range :frowning:

Can she use her guitar safely with my Fender Rumble 25? It’ll probably be too quiet for the band but she may be able to use it for home practice

1 Like

A guitar will sound horrible in most bass amp. It will be horrible for sure in a Rumble. The reason is that a guitar amp adds a lot of color to the sound, whereas most bass amps which are very transparent. So, with a guitar, it lacks a preamp that adds its own character and it will sounds very very cold and dull.
But on a technical perspective, it is safe to use a guitar with a bass amp : it will sound horrible but there is no risk for the gear.

Maybe she can live with a 20-30w amp but the drummer better be a shy and quiet one.

2 Likes

Hah! It might have to be that way - for now at least :wink:

Thanks :slight_smile: - maybe it’ll be ok for her to practice with at home until her mum can get something better sorted out. I reckon she should try getting a second hand amp but she wants the guarantee…

1 Like

well, she can try :slight_smile: but she will most probably want a real guitar amp very soon

2 Likes

The Boss Katana 50 is a popular amp
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50mk2--boss-katana-50-mk2-50-25-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp

Lots of used ones too. I would try it out in the guitar shop. Good luck!

1 Like

Though I’d leave this here:

5 Likes