How do I keep my pick from sliding off my fingers

I already know someone going to say just play fingerstyle and I prefer to play that way but sometimes fingerstyle doesn’t have the right sound you need for a song but whenever I pick a string my pick starts to slide off my finger gradually to the point where I’m only holding in to a little bit of the pick because I have sweaty hands what are some ways I can remedy this

1 Like

Sticky pick. Seriously. There are many picks with different material that limit slippage. Find one that works for you

1 Like

Slipping flat picks are a common thing for new players. Here’s an article that addresses how to fix that.

2 Likes

I picked up a variety pack of picks from D’Addario. It included a few gripped picks. I have found them to be much easier to hold.

2 Likes

Give Dunlop gatorgrip a try.

The surface is designed to be easier to keep hold of.

3 Likes

I like Ultex picks myself, i feel confident with them. There’s all sorts of picks and materials, shapes, sizes. Picks are cheap, try out a few and see what works best for you. They are very subjective

2 Likes

Punch some holes in it.

4 Likes

I use different models of these: https://rombopicks.com

Most often, I use the Rombo Crisp or Rombo Shell. The material of them is very durable, while I can grind down a Dunlop Tortex in like 10 songs, I yet have to make a dent in those.

The other tip I can give is just: keep at it, and you will get better at not dropping the pick. The trick is kinda to not hold it too tight and not too loose.

Also: the right size. I have trouble playing with smaller picks, they tend to slip further and further in between my fingers. If the pick is big enough, i can rest the back of it against my hand. But too big for me to play comfortably is also a thing.

2 Likes

I started with the big triangle picks, easy to hold on to and then after several months or a year I can use a normal sized pick without it slipping.

2 Likes

Great post and something I am continually suffering with.
Didn’t even think you could get grippy picks :flushed: I bought mine off of Wish :joy:

4 Likes

Dunlop Tortex are perfect for helping with this - easy texture to grip, still a standard pick so you don’t rely on additional help while learning.

I too use Ultex more but it’s slippery :slight_smile:

Rombo look great but are pricey. Still, worth a shot if you don’t mind paying a little more.

3 Likes

My buddy bought a tent off Wish to go camping. he said “It was crazy cheap” He showed me it when it arrived.

His small dog could just about fit into it. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Really, you just have to put in the hours like them fool Guitar players. I have half of what shown up there and I still lose my pick every 2 minutes. Plus the textured ones don’t necessarily feel good.

2 Likes

I’m finding it tends to rotate in my fingers so I end up with less and less pick touching the strings.

1 Like

I have gone back to dunlop max-grip nylons at the moment

The Max-Grip Nylon Pick’s molded gripping surface features a carefully engineered coarse grid that provides an unparalleled non-slip surface

they are not joking about the coarse bit, they are rough to hold, but I don’t remember ever dropping one

2 Likes

It might just be the way you’re holding it. This is how I hold mine. I find that by bending your index finger, once your thumb is down, it’s pretty much locked in. This is a very slick Dunlop and it barely moves.

2 Likes

Gorilla Snot.

2 Likes

Well from wish Id question what makes em sticky lmfao. Seriously though I use Gorilla Snot a little dab will do ya.

1 Like

On smooth flat picks I just score them in a criss-cross pattern with a utility knife.
Works for me YMMV :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, try the Triangles