How do you hold your bass when sitting?

Cool! I wasn’t sure we would have a “C” at all…

I tried that position, but found it very hard on the left shoulder (fretting arm) - I am not trained in classical guitar and therefore probably doing it wrong…

3 Likes

Another “C” right here. I like to play a lot standing up, and this position (to me), seems closest to the standing up position, when playing seated. I kind of have long arms, so, don’t mind the stretch it creates for the fretting arm, or that it orients me to where I’m facing left a lot, like @GalleyCat, since I need to look at the fretboard a bunch too. Tried it the “A” way, just feels awkward to me, even though that seems to be so common!

2 Likes

I do “C”.
It feels more natural to me. In position “A” I have a much harder time with my wrist position and it makes my carpal tunnel act up.

All of the people in these pictures are using good form with the plucking hand but a lot of bass players do this thing that looks like a chicken wing. That chicken wing position kills my wrist and I find it harder to avoid using position “A”.

2 Likes

Yeah, guilty as charged! I guess the only way to avoid this is to raise your elbow, which, for me, is again strenuous on the shoulder…

2 Likes

What is the preferred seat that people find most comfortable? Any good stool/chair styles out there that you like? I’ve seen some drummers thrones that look like they would be comfortable to sit and play in. When I sit and play, I do so in the “A” position pictured above.

I know the correct answer is whatever is comfortable for me, but I’m wondering what works for all of you?

3 Likes

I got an inexpensive office chair similar to this one
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Mesh-Task-Chair-with-Plush-Padded-Seat-Multiple-Colors/986400372
for about $25 and removed the backrest and support. What I ended up with is an adjustable-height stool with a full seat. Works well!

4 Likes

@PamPurrs and @JoshFossgreen both have drum thrones and I’m looking forward to getting one.

4 Likes

I love this idea. I just use my office chair now and it’s great except the arms. I rarely play sitting but it will probably increase as I get more serious about recording.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I might try the $25 office chair option and pull the back off before investing in a pricier drummers throne. Won’t look as cool and maybe not be quite as comfy, but if it does the job for me there are plenty of other places I can spend that extra cash rather then a throne. Thanks again!

I recently upgraded to a J bass which is much heavier than my old bass. It has me searching for a better shoulder strap and a better cushioned seat. Not only is it heavier, but the fact that I’m in love with it has me playing way more/longer than I was with my old bass. Good problems to have, but after buying the bass itself, funds are limited for new accessories…

3 Likes

Mostly A, although I do have to say that my shoulder starts to hurt after a little while… (Has anybody got a little halp for me with that topic?.. ^^")

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @joergkutter. I’ve never been able to play sitting down but these options give me some ideas!

3 Likes

Do you wear a strap while you are sitting? If not, I recommend it. If you are wearing a strap, which one is it? Basses are heavy, so you usually want a 3" - 4" padded strap. I have a Dunlop BMF strap and love it, but it costs almost as much as my bass. :yum:

3 Likes

If you do a search of the forum for “shoulder”, you should get a number of hits from other threads in here that deal with shoulder issues/pain - you are definitely not alone!

2 Likes

Yeah, it certainly isn’t very “rock’n’roll” :grin:

3 Likes

+1 here… I’ve tried to play sitting down but it just doesn’t feel right no matter what position I have tried. However, I can and do play my guitars and banjo sitting down (and standing up) without any problems whatsoever.

2 Likes

E definitely everything else just feels awkward

2 Likes

D because I’m fluffylicious and can’t play it any other way

2 Likes

I have the same “affliction” :+1:

2 Likes

Holy… 0.o Well, then I think there I have my problem, my strap hasn’t nearly got as much quality… Thanks for the help! ^^"

1 Like

Very well, thank you for helping me! ;))

2 Likes