How do you mute A string when F is next?

Complete noob looking for advice: I’m trying to play something like this:

And I have trouble muting the A string in the first bar - I try touching it with my 1st finger on the fretting hand while fretting F on the E string and A string keeps rining a bit into my F. Any advice what to do to mute it properly?

2 Likes

I use the index finger. I think if you keep practicing the full muting will come along. You could also try using one of the other 3 fingers, like the pinky, but in my opinion that is harder.

5 Likes

I would likely lay my index finger across all the strings when I fret the F and rest my other 3 fingers on the A string. Muting can be challenging when playing open strings, I often find that I have to get the ring and pinky fingers on my plucking hand involved to help out…do whatever it takes to keep those strings quiet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome, @abbot. If you pop on over to the Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a little about yourself, the B2B group will be anxiously waiting to welcome you to the family.

2 Likes

When I fret something like this, I have my fretting finger held so that I properly fret the first fret on the E string and make it so that the rest of my finger is touching the other strings.

That way, all the other strings are muted just by using 1 finger.

If it is the other way around, I fret a note on the A string, I try to let the tip of the fretting finger touch the E string lightly, so it is muted. Coming around with the thumb to mute the E string is also common in that scenario, but my thumb seems to be too short :smiley:

1 Like

You have 4 fingers, use them:

Fret F with your index finger, but still touching all the 4 strings. Keep your others 3 fingers muting the other 3 strings by keeping their tips on the A string, and the rest of the fingers muting D and G.

I always do the same:

Mute the lower strings with the plucking hand (by resting my thumb on a lower string) and the higher ones using the body of whatever finger I need to use to fret and the rest of the fingers.

For example, if I’m playing F (3rd fret) on the D string:

• My plucking thumb rest on the A string, muting it, and the rest of the thumb touches the E string.
  • My fretting finger (let’s say, middle finger) frets the F note with the tip, and the body mutes the G string and my ring-pinky hangs on G string, helping to mute it (Index finger stays on D string, to help fret and reduce any chance to ring the string)
1 Like

Yeah, muting isn’t fun to learn. You’ll get it. Nice straight fingers up and down on the fingerboard helps. The pad of the finger can simply rest on that a string. You’ll find it, it’s there.

2 Likes

Thanks for many inspiring replies! Experimented with various advice given here, and so far adding pinky or ring finger seems to work best for me. I tried hard muting this with one finger only, and of course it never came to me that just adding another finger to mute might be the solution :person_facepalming: Seems to be coming along now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes