How good a bassist?

Hey,
I just started Josh’s excellent course. It’s my second day and I’m on module 2, till now I’ve had no experience on bass (I’ve played guitar though) and till now the course has been pretty easy. (Maybe because Josh is an amazing teacher :metal:)
Btw I was wondering, people who’ve completed the course how good do you guys get after the course? Like are you gig/studio session ready? Can you create your own basslines (not the simple ones)?
Just wondering. Would love to hear from you guys!

5 Likes

Looking at my own progress, I would say that when you finish the course, you are still probably a beginner, but an “advanced beginner” with a really good set of fundamental skills, and a serious head start towards being an intermediate bass player. Probably most of the way towards intermediate level and just lacking practice.

You can jam with others, come up with your own basslines (composing them or just coming up with them on the fly while jamming), and sure, with song practice you could gig. People have and have posted about it.

I’m also pretty critical of myself and am maybe underselling things a bit here. It’s a really great course and teaches you all the basics - everything you need to know to be off to a good start of a bass career - and does so very well.

10 Likes

That was helpful. All the best for your bass career! :hibiscus:

6 Likes

I just completed the 30 day Beginner to Badass 16 days ago. This course delivers the goods! I did every module and lesson speed and I could early on jam along, make up my own rhythms, and now I’m learning entire bass lines. I can also talk the music lingo, which makes jamming even easier! I am ready to find a regular group to jam with, and feel like I’ll be an asset. So that’s my experience! Hope it helps.

8 Likes

Like @howard said, “advanced beginner” would be the most realistic term to describe those of us who have finished the course (and never played bass before that).

What several of us have experienced is, that despite this label of “advanced beginner”, we were amazed of how fast we got thrown in (or threw ourselves into) a band/gigging situation. Also, in here (in this forum), we have some “ingenious” activities/incentives/competitions, that help us improving our skills and trying to get better, and receiving constructive criticism (all in a relatively safe environment).

So, no, you won’t be a fully finished flawless diamond with all facets ground to perfection when you finish the course, but you are certainly way more than an amorphous blob of coal :grin:

9 Likes

Hello, @Gray :slight_smile:

As for myself, I used to play in a cover band a long time ago but was never very good at it. Taking @JoshFossgreen’s course helped me fill in a lot of gaps especially with technique and with music theory (which I knew absolutely nothing about beforehand).

So, YES, I can now make up my own basslines and I know more of the jargon needed to communicate with other musicians.

I also agree with @howard that I’m actually an “advanced beginner” now . . . I just need to continue practicing the concepts that Josh taught in the course.

Cheers, Joe

8 Likes

@Gray - Personally, I sort of compare the B2B course as taking say,… a welding course at a local community college. You will leave with the tools and techniques required for you to be able to step into the task as a trained “apprentice”. It’s up to you to do what you need through practice and exposure in order to advance into a full fledged experienced journeyman.

11 Likes

Excellent analogy.

7 Likes

Thank you so much everyone. So far all your replies have been pretty helpful and motivating to me.

7 Likes

Fair assessment, I agree. Unless someone is coming in with experience, then the course might fill in the holes on their way to being intermediate. And of course, depends where you plant your terminology! :evergreen_tree:

I’ve heard from a lot of people that they’re jamming and/or gigging by the end of the course, so I’d say yes!

Studio is a bigger question… there are a lot of levels of “studio ready.” Ready to record bass on a friend’s record at home? Maybe. Ready to go into a pro studio and get paid to lay down perfect bass quickly? Definitely not. That’s really hard, probably less than a thousand people on earth can do it, and it takes years of experience and specific practice. I’m still working on it!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

8 Likes

Carol Kaye has a great story on her website about the LA pro studio session musician scene at its peak and that number totally lines up with what she said - basically there were around 350 total regular studio session musicians in LA at the height of hollywood soundtracking. Also apparently they all know each other, or used to :slight_smile:

Can verify - after completing the course you will probably be able to contribute basslines to friends’ projects. Provided that they are good humored and forgiving friends :slight_smile:

That said, I had some experience coming in and (many years ago) have played live gigs (on other instruments) with this friend before. He’s kept the band together all this time.

5 Likes

Awaiting your return, no doubt.

3 Likes

Hah, it was a long wait if so :slight_smile:

4 Likes