How has learning Bass changed you?

I am not expecting any life changing things here, although I would not doubt that many people in history could attest to learning a new instrument having a profound change in their life. For me, so far it has been something simple, but noticeable:

I have found that I listen to music differently. I also find myself enjoying music I used to not really care for. I will listen to just about anything, but I find myself appreciating the sounds more now. I also notice that I specifically try to pick out the bass (something I usually have to try to do because of hearing damage).

So how has learning to play changed you?

4 Likes

I’ve learned to appreciate talent in a music style I dislike :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Bam! This is exactly it for me!

3 Likes

I used to always listen to the bass in music, but in a state of amazement and wonderment. Now, when I listen to the bass in music, I say to myself, “I can do that”.

5 Likes

Ditto… I’ve often thought that maybe our government officials in Washington DC should ALL learn to play bass instead of acting like they are all LEAD GUITAR players…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

It is allowing me to participate in music a lot more. I am shy of performing with the sax as it is a lead instrument in small ensembles and you have to be able to take a solo etc
With the bass I feel more confident and I have started looking for other musicians in the area to get together and make music
It is also making harmony more understandable and that will benefit my sax playing as well.
It has also reawakened my love of the sax because now I can start laying down basslines to play my sax along with

5 Likes

Well…it’s shown me you can still learn new things no matter your age. I’ve always loved music, used to be hard core rocker, then I discovered the blues and fell in love with it. I’ve had a *Natural * talent for drums all my life, but always wanted to hear the guitars…then when I got the bass that belonged to me Dad I wondered how hard it would be to learn. Surprisingly I found out it’s not really complicated…no harder then learning a new piece of software on my computer…just takes a little time. So I guess I can say it has taught me to have more patience too…Thanks for the question!

4 Likes

You are either pretty bad at computers or pretty good at bass. LOL

2 Likes

Slow your Roll there @brandoncmurphy. I’ve come in contact with plenty of software you could spend a lifetime working with.

Yea, like my “Spaghetti Code”!!

1 Like

Bass is like chess…takes a lifetime to master

2 Likes

A lifetime?..I’m in trouble then…63 years old with a bad heart…heh…but when I die I hope they find me with my Bass in my hands!!

3 Likes

Actually I’m pretty good on computers…but like @eric.kiser was aiming at, some software is a bit harder than others to wrap your head around…but most the time it’s fun!

2 Likes

Good one, @Redneck . . . :slight_smile:

I’ll have to remember that.

2 Likes