How into bass are you? Has your enthusiasm changed over the years?

I don’t know if this question has been asked before but I wonder how much into bass everybody on this forum is. Let’s say ranking your “love” from 1 to 5. For me I’ve just started my journey and I rate myself a 4/5 for enthusiasm and I’m always thinking about bass. I’m not sure if this will wane over time but I am enjoying the honeymoon period so far. So those that have been learning for a while now. How do you think you level of enthusiasm is after all these years? Has it changed as you become better at playing?

9 Likes

Love: 5
Current focus: 0-1, focusing on other instruments at the moment

10 Likes

I’m also interested in playing the guitar one day but I’d better stick to bass for a while before adding a new instrument.

8 Likes

I’m on the same exact boat right now.

8 Likes

5 but sometimes life gets in the way and I can’t play as much as I want to.

7 Likes

I play daily.

5 Likes

Same a couple weeks ago but now more balance….

Focus is 3 sax / 2 bass atm

7 Likes

Hard to say. I love playing that 5 out of 5. There’s a lot of outlets for me. Roles I can take on with school, or friends. Im invited all the time to play live so if I can make myself available I’m there.

It’s way different than when I started, I was more all in with practice and techniques as well as theory. The approach to a playlist is definitely different. I was a 100% or do my best to be as close as possible, now I want to be close but not 100%. It gives the piece a little bit of my personality, which is pretty important playing live.

Biggest difference is that I’d give up a song or two to play on drums because it was fun, lol.

8 Likes

Yes, life and commitments do get in the way. That is why I ranked myself 4/5. I’d love to devote more time on bass but I have other things to do. So it has to take a back seat. But I do try and play at least 5 minutes a day. I hope I can at least do that.

6 Likes

I’m still a 5 after a couple of years.
Practice at least an hour a day.
Living miles from civilisation and the crap that passes for TV helps

10 Likes

I’m with mac at a solid 5 for love of the game.
I can’t play anything else (i can barely play a bass), so my focus isn’t split with other instruments.
Being willing to silence the telephone and shut off the blabbering foolishness box certainly helps.

7 Likes

Similar situation. Love 5, focus maybe 3. The lack of progress and the lack of accurate transcriptions can be demotivating.

6 Likes

Love = 5

Focus = 1/2. Spending more time writing at the moment.

5 Likes

Focus: 1-5 over 22 years. When I was 15 I figured bass would be my instrument and loved it, got focused, started a band - then broke my left arm in half and haven’t played for 21 years. Now I started learning from scratch and the focus is coming back…

9 Likes

Let’s just say there are days where I want to quit my day job and spend all my days playing bass and getting better at that whole music game :wink:

8 Likes

Yessss!

5 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

Days?
For me : all of them.
Dream early retirement

7 Likes

Love 5
Focus maybe 2 because I’m very much switching over instruments, those times. I still play bass but I’m more balanced between bass and guitar now (including acoustic guitar), and I add several other instruments with a low focus at the moment but I might change this equilibrium for more focus on one of those new instruments.

The new instruments are the violin, which is not really new to me but I’m really bad at it, even if it’s one of my favorite instruments or all times, and the mandolin because I got one recently and I really like what it can do in a bluegrass/country context.

6 Likes

I mean, technically true for every day for me :rofl:

6 Likes