How many of you know the fretboard cold?

Wondering how many active players (gigging/touring/jamming with others) know all the notes on the fretboard without using any patterns or shapes?

I have the E and A strings down pretty much on command but also wondering how much time to devote to all this.

1 Like

I’m getting close. I started using the trick that SBL suggested on one of their videos and I go through the exercise now as part of my warmup.

I inadvertently rely a bit on the octave shape but I’m trying to practice that out and just learn the notes.

4 Likes

Great video!

Definitely want to check that out.

1 Like

Here’s the workbook that goes with that video lesson.

6 Likes

I really liked that video. It’s an example of an SBL freebie that is actually informative and valuable. Personally, I’ve found Ian to be a good influence in Scott’s videos. Those two genuinely have fun together and positive stuff emerges.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Ever since Ian started being more involved it’s like a whole different channel and I’ve been able to actually learn things.

Ian brings the kind of energy that makes me like @JoshFossgreen so much. Scott’s stuff was a bit too dry before and my funky brain couldn’t hang with it.

It seems Scott has been stepping back more and more. I think it’s mainly due to his condition getting worse.

2 Likes

Woah… yet another reason why this is the best community!

Thank you!

1 Like

So I watched the video and I’m a bit lost on this:

Do you identify first where the notes are and THEN do the exercise?

From my perspective, you can already tell they know the notes so when they call them out they are going directly to them.

For me, I’m just copying them/reading the tab.

Is it supposed to be a muscle memory thing and just getting it after so mucuh practice?

Well you just answered your questions. If you are already got the E and A down on demand, it’s just another 2 strings and it’s even easier than the first 2 because you have their respective octave. I know all of the note on the 5 strings when I play before I can say it out loud. I don’t know how long it took me but I learned it organically by playing songs and not fingerboard exercise.

Yes, those guys are longtime pros, so it follows that they know where the notes are. That said, they were just demo’ing the exercise.

Before you attempt to do it yourself, identify where each C, for example, is on each string within the first 12 frets. As they say in the video, there is only one fretted root note on each string.

Start easy: Just find each C on each string. Then play each one eight times before playing the next string’s C. Keep doing this with the following strings until you can locate and play them in order, each eight times. If this is tough to do at first, practice this C exercise for two or more days until you can nail it. At that point, you can do the same exercise with F as your root note, etc.

2 Likes

Cool video (and PDF).

The guy on the left (is that Moby??? ^^) is using his thumb to pluck. Does anybody care to explain?
Is this something to learn too???!

Also saying the notes out loud like they suggested was a surprisingly huge help.

2 Likes

If we’re looking at the same video, as far as I can see they’re both picking with index and middle fingers.

3:55?

I think that was just at the very beginning when he was going very slow. As soon as he speeded up a little and added in a bit of rhythm he switched to index/middle.

1 Like

That is Scott. You can pluck with whatever part of your anatomy you want. Plucking with two (or three) fingers has just proven to be most efficient.

There is a technique called palm muting, where you mute/muffle all strings with your palm and pluck with both thumb and fingers (more like a guitar picking approach). That is a technique worth studying and learning.

Also, when you pluck triads/chords, you can pluck with thumb and fingers like a guitar player.

Here, Scott is doing it to get a slightly muffled, but consistent tone, and he knows that no fast licks or lots of string crossing is imminent. That style might also work nicely for ballads, slow blues, country etc.

4 Likes

Ah, I’m practicing two ballads at this very moment - will try!

1 Like

Ah ok… now that makes sense.

So you DO take some time to find the notes first, then you do the patterns etc.

1 Like

been saying this for a while, and i used to HATE that channel. it’s really good and informative, not only is ian great but he’s loosened up scott a ton and scott is now pretty enjoyable. and since they have given sharon more of a role (she’s the bass player and one of the main songwriters in berklee’s indian ensemble and a MONSTER player) it has made it even better. she’s just one of those people that has crazy energy and is instantly likeable.

5 Likes

Yes, of course. The primary purpose of this exercise is to familiarize yourself with where every fretted (and appropriate open string) note lives on the neck.

The ability to easily locate root notes in any key is essential for playing with others in a jam or band setting, and also for constructing extended bass lines up and down the neck.

This is a good, thoughtful exercise that will greatly expand a beginner’s playing horizons.

2 Likes