How much do you practice

Now i’m back working from the office so i’ve only been playing for ~4 hrs on the weekends and a little theory/technique stuff during the week.

My guitar stand is right by the front door so my poor, sad, unplayed basses stare at me as I leave the house every morning :disappointed_relieved:

Good thing they don’t have names :joy:

4 Likes

Whenever it feels like it really. We have band practice every friday and that doubles up to include a Tuesday if we have a gig lined up (though we have only done 2!).

But generally every day or every other day. I have a bass upstairs on a practice amp within arms reach and often just grab it randomly.

Tl;dr - fairly regularly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @mpops1990,

Where is your tab sheet from? :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Think it’s the 3rd book

1 Like

I’ve just started book 1 :grinning:

3 Likes

That’s awesome! They helped me out a ton. Thinking of going back through them again actually

1 Like

I practice 4-8 hours every day EXCEPT for the days after band practice. Band practice is usually once (but sometimes) twice each week, and practice sessions usually go from 7PM to 1AM. Basically the same time frames we’d be playing gigs… When I practice at home, I’m usually working on the next practice sessions set lists. However, sometimes we’ll throw in a “fun” song or two (Like Tom Sawyer) to break the monotony of the session. Tom Sawyer is a fun Rush song to play - not to mention Geddy Lee’s bass line!! Maybe when I get it all figured out we’ll be able to add it to one of our set lists… :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Only 8 hours, what are you doing with the rest of your time :wink:

4 Likes

Drinking Bourbon and… smoking … (Fill in the blank)… I’m a Vietnam Vet…

6 Likes

I’d love to practice more. But you know, life commitments (family, work, sleep, gym).
I try very hard to “touch” the instrument every day. Sometimes it is just 5 minutes, enough for a couple of “scale runs”.
When I have more time it is usually 45-75 minutes. I then do

• a proper warmup followed by B2B workouts from the last lesson.
  • Then a minute or two of Billie Jean :wink:
  • And finally new B2B lesson.

Apart from technique practice, I try to maximise my focus on music during other activities:

• I try to use gym time to listen to some cool bass lines and/or explore music ( this means listening to new things )
  • use one of the mobile apps to work on my “fretboard knowledge” while travelling or between exercises in the gym
  • recently I started listening to Victor Wooten’s “The Music Lesson” audiobook, which I find both entertaining and educational
5 Likes

I do 1 or 2 lessons of B2B, depending on how well things go and if my scrambled eggs of a brain struggle with things (varies day to day).

Do some technique by playing the melodies I’ve learned, play around with some of the scales and related stuff, or just walking the neck between 1st and 15th frets to keep my hands functional and it helps with the stretching of the fingers.

And I play Rocksmith for about an hour.
Either just songs in learn a song mode which gives me some standing time to train my legs as well and I don’t have to really think about the notes that I need to play if I don’t want to as they show up on screen when I need to play them. It helped me to find frets blindly and on time.
Or I can use it to actually learn a song, which is what I currently spend most of my time on Rocksmith for.
Rocksmith is a great tool but not THE answer. I learn some through it and it increases time on my bass.

So at minimum I’m on my bass at least 2 hours a day, sometimes 5+ depending on how cooperative my brain and body is.

6 Likes

With a full-time stressful job, wife, and kids, my practice time is limited to usually 45 min to an hour a night–but that also cuts out my exercise time, so I try and alternate. On rare weekends where I get to be home alone, I will do 3 hour practice sessions “on accident” as I will just get “in the music playing zone” so to speak.

6 Likes

I dont have a lot of pet peeves but thats one of them :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

My youngest son uses “on accident,” and I took issue with it. He rationalizes it by telling me, “we say ‘on purpose,’ so why not ‘on accident’?”

7 Likes

“If the world spent more time listening to what people are trying to say and less if criticizing the way it’s said, we might learn a thing or too” - Me

… and yes I typed it wrong on porpoise.

7 Likes

Ok, since to my Italian ear “on accident” sounds perfectly fine (I was just thinking about “on purpose” and it seemed a perfect match…) Could someone shed a bit of light on this grammatical matter and reveal the idiomatic expression that should be used, on purpose, when one means “on accident”? Thousands of thanks (in Italian we say “mille grazie”)

4 Likes

In my experience, it had been “by accident” until the most recent generation. Others’ experiences may be different. At least one opinion on the matter agrees with my experience.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I don’t practice anywhere near as much as I should these days!

6 Likes

Because you sound like an uneducated buffoon :joy: and “by accident” is what’s accepted by pretty much all style guides.

My coworkers (who would never say “on accident”) know it bugs me so they’ve taken to saying “by purpose” :laughing:

One would probably be better to just say they did it “accidentally” since that also means “not on purpose” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

On Accident or By Accident – Which is Correct? - Writing Explained.

2 Likes