How slow are you "progressing" on B2B?

I was off to a fast start…I’d say I have had the course for month and a half or so now(?)… I’m on Module 8. Haven’t had much in the way of hiccups or anything. BIllie Jean wasn’t overly hard…but…I miss the beat ruler. I noticed it hasn’t been around much.
I did have a work hand injury cutting lexan shields for COVID, I had a piece of plastic come shooting back on the table saw at me and I thought it broke my hand. Thinkin just sprained something. I have broke both hands and a foot throughout years of martial arts …doesn’t feel the same as then. Regardless…that I guess is my hiccup. Lol
So far so good…

6 Likes

I hope that it heals fast, that’s a bummer a one off. I also missed the beat ruler until the penny dropped and the bass clef is in fact a beat ruler. @Graphics1988
Jamie

3 Likes

@Graphics1988 sorry to hear about your hand injury, I hope it heals rapidly.

I hear ya about Billie Jean. I struggled with her for nearly a week before I finally gave up. I wrote a big asterisk on that lesson in the workbook, and moved on.

I was amazed after I finished the course and went back to it. After all those hours of practice, plus now armed with the ability to play from musical notation rather than use tab and knowledge of the finger board, I was able to nail it. You can too!

3 Likes

Thanks Pam - yeah maybe i mistyped…i didn’t struggle at all with Billie Jean - i think i watched the video twice then got it… i have a feeling the actual READING of music (albeit sounds like a huge advantage) isn’t top interest for me. I tend to drift off and eyes roll back in my head ahahaha… Thanks for the inspiration. Everyone here has been fantastic and non judgy. Thanks folks

Cheers

4 Likes

Just a note I was watching a Tommy Shannon video where he was teaching Pride and Joy and jacked it up, so don’t be so hard on yourself

4 Likes

That’s helped me reading what you said @PamPurrs. Last night I decided to move on from the Billie Jean lesson, I could play it very slowly but not at any real speed. But I decided best to move one, but it didn’t feel right not nailing it before going on. But hearing others have had the same issue makes me feel less unskilled. And that it can be nailed later :ok:

6 Likes

You will nail it I’m sure @Mark_UK . I’ve just started going through the course for a second time to refresh my memory and I’ve yet to come across Billie Jean but I did go back to that lesson quite regularly and managed it eventually.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mac. I’m so used to doing courses and training that was either essential for my career or a one shot deal. I need to remember I elected to do this and no worry about going back later! Also any timescales are purely self-imposed.

4 Likes

@Mark_UK Mark just enjoy the journey. Headphones on and jam tae your favourite , air guitar except with the bass. Jumping on the bed optional. Have fun, I run through BJ on the slow every day, not been back to medium. That will come when I’m ready for that bitch that is BJ and it’s great finger exercise.
Jamie

5 Likes

Thanks Jamie @Jamietashi I think I might take that advice, not the jumping on bed bit (way too heavy for that!) But the using Billie Jean as a daily exercise on slow. Cheers

4 Likes

Yeah, BJ has become my daily warm up on slow of course :+1:

5 Likes

Cheers @Jamietashi & @Mac !
My partner heard me chuckling, and has now read your posts about ‘daily BJ’.
I’m having a hard time convincing her now my new hobby and this forum aren’t covers for other activities :joy::joy:

5 Likes

I do BJ as a daily exercise as well. I can manage the medium workout and sometimes I do the fast one. I play it 2-3 times before moving on to something else. Give it time @Mark_UK. You’ll be banging it out soon.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
I was thinking that as i typed but I tried really hard to keep my mind out of the gutter…

And failed ! :joy:

4 Likes

Gutter is my default starting position then it’s only upwards from there :grin:

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, if I was new to this forum and saw all these comments about doing slow BJs every morning, my eyebrows would certainly raise.

7 Likes

so…unfortunately, i had to stop my course - my hand wasn’t getting any better for it - finally went to Dr, yup it is broken. Odd though, cuz i was still working and lightly practicing with it (no sense no feeling i guess).
So they said it has reset itself fine - and i convinced the Dr, to aircast/wrap it. (boxers break - if anyone is familiar with that term - done this a couple times lol)

I broke my hand about 20yrs ago - same thing - boxers break - i had a special cast made (two days after the hospital made the typical straight hand plaster one) - i had a plaster "c’ shape dome made for the palm so that i could still go snowmobiling that winter lolol - nice guy no too bright apparently.

So last night - i was able to practice “higher and higher” in Module 8 - it was OK - i can do it at the medium pace without much pain - the fast pace, i can do in spurts - so i may have to so smaller bites than i wanted too. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. Cheers from Toronto

5 Likes

Yes slowly is best, I had spinal surgery and was on the XT500 two weeks later. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Jamie

4 Likes

I know your/our stupidity!!! I bow with respect hahahaha - this almost seems like a challenge now - what ELSE can we do now?! Challenge Accepted!

4 Likes