How Terrible has TalkBass Become?

Ha! Thanks, bud.
I just gotta go get some robes and grow my beard out.

And gotta find me a mountain to sit on!

Send me thine sour grapes, and from them I shall make wine, and we shall frolic and play mighty bass riffs until we doth pass out!

3 Likes

Well, that’s as good a plan (or program indeed) as any :grin:

1 Like

th-1092603420

I’m on TalkBass and find it’s not that bad. I’ve come across sour members, but I just ignore them. If someone knocks my post, I speak my mind and let them know if they haven’t got anything nice to say, they should keep their mouth shut and then move on. If you want to chat with me on TB, I’m HowieD72 on there. I’ve also bought quite a few good parts & 1 bass off TB. No problems.

1 Like

Become??? Hell, it’s been like that for years already. I’ve never seen such poor moderation anywhere except in a free for all sports forum that allows so much trolling the place is nothing but violent debates and insults.

About five years ago a group of us left TB to begin our own bass forum known as SCTMMC because after creating the most popular thread on TB they shut us down because a handful of members thought we weren’t taking things seriously enough. Are you kidding me? It’s not a seminary or a bible study group. We even have a thread in our forum titled “The Stupidest Post/Thread On Talk Bass” and it’s updated frequently.

TB is bonkers most days. I stick with reading two threads about the gear I play and use it to research other stuff but that’s it. No sense in doing more.

1 Like

You’d love our SCTMMC site. We even have a separate thread for those of us who’ve been banned from TB. I’ve been banned twice and consider it an honor. The first time it was intentional on my part. But the second time I re-registered years later after having my account listed as inactive not banned.

The registration was approved and I kept to just those two threads I mentioned above. Then they banned me again for having dual accounts even when one was no longer active and after they approved my registration. One mod will do or say one thing and another something entirely different and the Admin who I’ve also PM’d back and forth with will back them up even when they’re in conflict. I moderate another forum and all I can say is the TB mods are the very worst I’ve ever run into. Tin badge wanna be forum sheriffs.

And that’s all that should be needed if members treat one another like friends and fellow players. If you wouldn’t say what you just posted to a friend why post it at all. People can disagree and debate without insults. Many of us have doing it over beers for most of our lives so what is it about some forums that turn members into idiots that have to rudely challenge everything?

2 Likes

You’ve pretty much nailed it. What you describe is precisely the time line of a sports forum I was part of developing around 2004. Ten years later it was turning into just what you describe. I was on staff along with a couple of the other originators. The owner decided he wanted it to grow and began to approve registrations of known trouble makers from other forums and insisted we not ban them. Three of us resigned as mods and within a year one of the bigger fan forums for our team was no more. The trolls and idiots murdered it then went right back to where they cam from having done what they set out to do from the start. It was an exercise in sheer stupidity by the owner.

1 Like