How to Improve Pinky Strength

I think that the number of repetitions might be wrong. It sounds like Mark is playing image 1 two times and image 2 only once :thinking:

3 Likes

In all seriousness I like Mark’s exercise in this lesson as it is a beautiful riff and not just the usual chromatic walk :slight_smile:

I wonder if it is a well known classical piece and I am just ignorant of it.

3 Likes

I really enjoy the exercise, it’s perfect to play with my new pedal on slow or intermediate speed :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

agree

not that I am complaining though thanks for posting the music :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mark added the lesson material on his website (and a link to it in the comments to the video) :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Good, he must be feeling better then. He didn’t even have his usual Saturday live hang yesterday so I guess he must’ve still been suffering.

3 Likes

It sounds like either JS Bach or last resort by Papa roach…

3 Likes

Yes the number of repetitions was wrong. I had the number of phrases. I updated my post.
Nice little finger twister. I’m up to 90 bpm.

4 Likes

That’s pretty impressive. The whole thing is only 16 beats long, so you can play it in twelve seconds? Not bad for a pinky workout :slight_smile:

Definitely faster than I can play it. That’s the same speed as Hysteria’s 16th note chug.

Need to up my pinky game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha, I didn’t see this post.
I just linked to this video in the already created Pinky thread.
Its a great exercise.
I have not played it to metronome yet, as I have been playing it for strength rather than tempo exercise, but I suppose I should do both.
I can play the riff just fine, but I can only get thru it about 2 times before fatigue gives in.
That is if I play it with my fingers parallel to the frets, as he suggests doing it. if I play it a little more relaxed like I tend to play, I can do more, but I am working on technique, and strengthening with proper form is the goal.

4 Likes

Ooh this one is bringing back some thumb deathgripping for me. I love this exercise.

Good practice for having the thumb off the neck completely.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs Do you subscribe to Mark’s lesson as well? How do you like them?

1 Like

Yes, I have taken and am still taking many of his courses. They are great, and Mark is an excellent bass instructor. If you take a look at the Beyond Badass thread you will see many comments about his courses.

3 Likes

I second that! I’m on course #2 but bought 4 in all so far. He’s very easy to follow

1 Like

Mark’s basically my favorite online instructor after Josh. He’s great.

Really stand-up guy too, does his own customer support and will answer emails really fast.

4 Likes

For sure, I have been practicing it with several hand positions, and all over the neck too.

2 Likes

It turns out this exercise is fun and effective on keyboards too. Neat little phrase.

1 Like

So, in the basic form of this, while playing the first 4 measures on the D string I get my fingers rubbing the G string a bit and creating a bit of noise. It gets more noticeable when I move this exercise to the A or E string (and when doing this exercise on those lower strings, then the next 3 measures have addition rubbing on the G/D string too). Any suggestions on how to minimize “playing” the wrong string? These strings are below where my plucking hand can mute them.

Maybe you need to curl your fingers a bit more and fret with the fingertips, so that they make less contact with the high strings? Hard to tell without seeing and hearing what you’re doing.