How to Improve Pinky Strength

Mark Smith just did a premiere of this lesson, and I found it quite interesting. I thought I share it here, since the pinky finger gives most beginners and even some intermediate players problems.

19 Likes

I like that riff. Going to practice it today.

3 Likes

Nice. I do wish he’d provide a link to the PDF, though.

3 Likes

He does. He always provides a link to the PDF with his videos.

3 Likes

Can you screenshot it? I’m not seeing it (on YT).

2 Likes

Go to the site. I’m not home right now.

2 Likes

10 Likes

I’ll check when I get home, but if you go to TalkinBass dot net to the free lessons you should see it there.

3 Likes

Thanks, I just did the same thing. It’s not at the site (yet). Maybe Mark has just forgotten this time.

3 Likes

I find that heavy deadlifts and 100s of miles of paddle boarding works well :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

200 pinky push ups a day, easy.

4 Likes

Pinky Battle Royale with all my other pinkys. Only the strong survive. There can be only one!

5 Likes

With my short, fat, sausage fingers, strong pinkies is pretty much all I got :smiley:

6 Likes

Pinkies on feet have to be a pure cannon fodder for those on hands. Something like a National guard vs SEALs.

3 Likes

@sfadams you’re right, it’s nowhere to be found. Mark did mention in the video that he’s been suffering from stomach flu for the past few days, so maybe he went back to bed and forgot about it (shrug).
I asked him on the TalkingBass Practice Group page and should know later today. Today is the day we normally have our TB Live Hangs with Mark, but he may cancel today due to his flu. We shall see.

3 Likes

Just watched it, @PamPurrs . . . Mark makes it look easy, doesn’t he? :slight_smile:

I’ll have to give this a try later!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Yes he does, as does @JoshFossgreen

3 Likes

Thanks, @RuknRole . . . :+1:

I’ll use your chart for this exercise!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Cool – I really like this and the exercise looks promising. We’re all big fans of “Maak’s” accent in our house, too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I get more pinky practice now that I’m making a sincere effort to move the needle on my slap, and I’m using a lot of octave shapes down at the low end of the neck. But that’s for those of you who like to make funky disco sounds when you work out your pinky. :smiley:

EDIT - M13, L6, Love Rollercoaster (whether you are slapping or not, it’s good for plucking too) is a great for this.

3 Likes

Well, it’s not really complicated… unless you want to go full speed :persevere:

2 Likes