How to Play Hysteria on Bass (10 Simple Steps + Tabs)

Thanks again for the kind words @eric.kiser @TNKA36 and @Wombat-metal

They also gave this feed back that there was absolutely no problem about, technique, tone or feel of the playing. All three bass players were incredibly well prepared (there was a long vacation break for everyone)… In the end it was super hard for them to choose.

I think they might have gone for someone with at least some live experience. Also the age might have been a problem as well since both the drummer and guitarist were under 25. The original post was looking for someone under 35 (I am 37 years old)…

In any case many people around me with years of experience told me that this happens a lot… Things can go wrong also afterwards after a couple of months etc…

All this experience made me realize that I am not the same guy from 6 months back that “just wants to play with others and take on any challenge just for the sake of it” anymore. I really need dedication to a well defined project…

Let’s see what is behind the next door!

10 Likes

@Fahri I find these words very inspiring and speaks volumes for the type of person you are. Your performance was great and I’m sure you’ll end up playing with a group of like minded people, with whom you gel and love spending time and making music with.

3 Likes

Just remember this: 1986, Les Claypool auditioned for Metallica and got rejected.

4 Likes

I watched a concert and he talked about this.

They had just finished playing a very Les Claypool version of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees and he said, “For those of you wondering why I didn’t get that Matallica gig, it was because of shit like that.”

4 Likes

Oh god this is golden! I will make a video of my kids dancing to this!

3 Likes

Great attitude, don’t let this take the wind out of your sails, you are on fire, you have been doing a lot of great work, with much progress that is well documented. keep at it, it might take 20 misses before you hit the ball, but reset assured, you will hit the ball, and when you do, you will hit it out of the park.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I love how he is still Metallica-adjacent too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/Pi8NrcoxIyk

3 Likes

I remember that! That was Woodstock

2 Likes

Alejandra from The Warning plays Hysteria - pretty well too for a 15 year old

3 Likes

a ton better than I can play it

Awesome! Nice tone (and Spector) too.

Love this. It’s not an easy riff to play on guitar either. Les getting that tone with slap on his bass is really insane haha.

1 Like

Hello guys,

I had another shot at Hysteria at another audition with yet another band… I don’t think I will be playing in this band due to unrelated reasons but still it was nice to play it once again…

P. S:They also had “time is running out” in the list…

8 Likes

Nice!

2 Likes

Nice work @Fahri ,
Love the bass line on the second song​:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Trying to get this down, and making steady progress. I have a question though to those who have mastered this (more or less!). Are you strictly alternating with your plucking fingers, or do you ever rake?

I’m at the part where I’m practising the first beat of the 4th bar. It goes

D: 7--------
A: – 0 10 0

So if I’m strictly alternating, that’s index on the D string, then middle-index-middle on the A string. But after a year of regular bass playing my plucking has become more or less automatic, I don’t have to think about it - but my automatic movement here is to rake from the D to the A with my index, so I go index-index-middle-index for those 4 plucks. To alternate properly, I have to really think about it, and slow down, and even then it’s not as rhythmic. Should I persevere with the strict alternating, or is it OK to rake here? The obvious downside to the raking is that (at least until the next rake!) I’m starting each bar with the middle instead of the index, so it’s offset from the starting pattern.

How have you guys approached this? Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Had to play it just now to remember but I rake that too.

Been a while since I played it so I am way down in BPM from my peak as well :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know. I’m inclined to rake, because I don’t really want to have to start thinking about my plucking hand too much in case it affects my general playing! Presumably it doesn’t mess you up down the line when you’re hitting notes with middle that were previously index?