...how to practice?

I’ve said this on other threads, but I try to go for around 1/3 Theory/Technique, 1/3 Covers/Transcription, and 1/3 Improvisation/Originals.

Doesn’t mean each session is split that way, but that is around the average time I try to spend on each over a month. i.e I might just do Covers on one day, but maybe not at all another day, and sometimes a mix.

Most importantly though, you need to find what works for you.

1 Like

@Barney Thanks for replying @RoyB message. Dan was my next stop after this. A friend recommended Dans Online course and the Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition Book with Audio as the next 2 stops in the Bass Journey.

1 Like

Paul Wolfe has a book on deliberate practice. I already know what works for me, but maybe consider checking this out. I have all of the go-to bass books but his, by far, have been the most effective for me

5 Likes

I haven’t bought a book in a while, the others on the shelf look like they could use some company, I will give it a shot. lol

4 Likes

Looks very interesting, @mpops1990. Thanks for the heads up.

UPDATE: Purchased. :+1:

3 Likes

I have several of Paul’s books and I am very impressed with all of them. Without a doubt the best bass books I have come across so far.

1 Like
  1. Identify an area of your playing that you want to improve
  2. find some exercises to do
  3. do exercises until you’ve reached the level of improvement you desire
  4. return to 1.
3 Likes

I bought two of Paul Wolfe’s books after communicating with @mpops1990 about another post (Learning from James Jamerson), and have really enjoyed them. Deliberate Practice for Bass Guitar 2.0 seems like common sense after reading it, but it really helped me identify the weaknesses in my practice and focus. It is a pretty quick read too. Wolfe includes some online content with each of his books which is useful too (videos and sheet music/tabs referenced in the book you purchased). Would definitely recommend.

3 Likes

B2B
Module 16
Lesson 5: Going Forward - How And What To Practice

My recommendation to you would be to stick to one program for now and see it through. The way B2B is designed you will learn and get your practice in at the same time with the slow,medium, and fast workouts.

4 Likes

Agree with this. Cant find the answer or truly understand something then seek out the answer. However, return to the course where you left off so you dont drift into the 100 books, 5 online programs and videos maybe better now I have no plan syndrome.

3 Likes