How to Squash the Squeak

Someone pointed out to me recently that I have a lot of string squeak when I play. Then I went out to jam a couple days ago and was hearing a lot more than usual on my new bass. Now, I know this can be reduced with string choice (flatwounds, coated, etc.), but I’m not talking about that. I’m trying to focus on technique to reduce it rather than gear. Been watching some videos and this is the best one I’ve found so far, even if it is for acoustic classical guitar. Anyone else have any advice on this or joining in the struggle? I know I’ll probably never get rid of it entirely. Just trying to make it more minimal.

3 Likes

Dip your fingers into chicken grease, that’ll remove squeaks.

4 Likes

@Noisembryo is on the right track. But I prefer to spray my hands liberally with WD40 first. No squeaks plus helps prevent the strings going rusty. Win Win.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, but not looking to dip my hands or spray them with anything. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Turn the amp louder :grin:

4 Likes

After playing, I wipe my strings with a “MusicNomad” cleaner, @JT . . . :slight_smile:

It cleans the strings and lubricates them a little bit:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MN109--musicnomad-string-fuel-all-in-one-string-cleaner-and-lubricant

Cheers and HTH,
Joe

3 Likes

i like the squeak.

4 Likes

Gloves or wrapping your fingers with tape might solve it if its really annoying you. Or lubricate your joints :smiley:

P.s. dont take me seriously

4 Likes

That looks like a good idea :bulb:
I’ve gotten so lazy about cleaning my basses lately it’s really quite shameful

4 Likes

Me too. Human element. Sounds nice. Squeaky rounds 4 eva.

4 Likes

That’s a great video. It was nice to hear someone go over the specific mechanics for how to deal with this.

I’m surprised anyone noticed. Unless you were playing outside of everyone else playing at the same time. There are plenty of isolated bass track recordings that show how common string squeak is but people don’t usually notice it in the mix.

Has someone said this is a problem or is trying to eliminate the squeak more about taking pride in your craft?

3 Likes

It bugs me, but I’ve noticed it a lot more with my new bass, so it might be as simple as changing the strings (not even sure what came on it) or adjusting the tone dial or something. Not overly stressing about it though.

4 Likes

Rolling down the treble should certainly help reduce the squeaking :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes