How to understand and use modes

3 Likes

Another modes topic :rofl:

4 Likes

Didn’t we recently have a topic about this specifically? Or was that one with a YouTube video on Modes and maybe not using them :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, after telling people they don’t need to use modes, I needed to tell people how to use modes :slight_smile:

There’s not much else going on in here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Modes is one of those topics that keeps on giving….
If anyone else’s experience with modes is anything like mine then I understand why it keeps coming back… it’s a bunch of info that the novice guitarist will bump into and it usually doesn’t come with “how to apply” instructions, yet it’s somewhat of an obsession among guitarists that everyone must memorize the modes

1 Like

I always like it when they give song examples and talk about the style it gives. I sometimed wonder how a song I think is cool sounds different than all my major and minor scale capabilities. What are they doing ??!?!

1 Like

That’s why i shared this article, it’s of the best i’ve seen for how it looks at the modes T/ST relationships instead of just doing it in C maj and also shows it on the piano keyboard as well as talking about how/why one would use modes. The biggest problem people seem to have is what to do with modes once they’ve learned them… and there’s 2 main things you can do, you can use them as colour scales or you can use them to improvise over chords without worrying about the key. The best way to learn about anything, is to use it for something; use it to learn it, don’t learn it to use it.

This guy has some of the best videos i’ve seen on modes https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqIfZnCVJX8QGvz5ISUKTjijnKI0xEoBA

I still stick by my previous post though that most people don’t need to learn/use modes and if they do, they should wait until they have a really good understanding of major and minor scales, chords, arpeggios, intervals, etc.

3 Likes