HX Stomp XL and External Compressor

Ok I’ve succumbed to a bit more GAS (must get back on the tablets) and ordered an HX Stomp XL.

Part of my mental justification for this (read self delusion) is that I will be able to sell pedals towards the cost now I don’t need them in theory.

This is not really a dilemma, except I am wondering about my Boss BC-1X compressor.

The question is how good and easily usable are the compressors in the Stomp? Or should I give up a bit of second hand sale money and keep the boss comp?

Views/advice welcome fellow Gassers.

5 Likes

@Barney - isn’t this the one you just got?

2 Likes

I would take my time selling it. First check if I am fine with the compressors in the HX, or if the BC-1X can bring anything unique to the pedal board.

4 Likes

Compressors generally work great in software - the ones in the Zoom units are great and compressor VST’s are perfect. I’m sure the ones in the Helix are fantastic.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m just starting to play with the compressors in the HX Stomp. I’m not really the best person to ask as I don’t have a physical compressor pedal. So I’ve always done the compression either in the Multi Efffects Procesor (Zoom now Stomp) or in post in the DAW.

When I was reading around / watching YT content. More than one musician had a compressor pedal on their board going into the Stomp

Here’s a list of the comps that you’ll find in the Stomp.

4 Likes

Nice selection. In particular, either the LA-2A or CLX should be excellent, if well modeled (which, given that it is Line6, I bet they will be).

3 Likes

The compressors in the HX are really good. The LA-2A is my favorite. I would use the ones from your stomp and sell the external one. That way you can play with your signal chain more. Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Thanks everyone for feedback so far, and @Barney for the list.

Encouraging to see the view that the compressors should be ok on the stomp and in software form generally.

2 Likes

Well the HX Stomp XL turned up, and PMT (UK music store) had very obviously shipped me either B stock, an ex demo unit or a second hand returned unit.
All the security seals were cut, finger prints all over the unit, power supply (which usually comes neatly coiled) open and tangled up. I just don’t know how long the unit has been used for or by whom.
Not acceptable, so that’s being collected tomorrow and now another wait for a (hopefully) virgin unit to be sent out.
PMT usually are pretty good, not on this occasion :rage:

2 Likes