I Am So Busted

I have a very good friend who has been learning the cello for the past 2 years. She’s … OK. At least once a week she asks me to come over and jam with her. Don’t get me wrong, I think the cello is an amazing instrument and I imagine you can play any type of music you’d want on it. But just because it worked for Metallica and the SF Symphony Orchestra doesn’t mean it’s going to work for us; frankly the two times we’ve gotten together to jam have been painful.

I’ve managed to get out of it by telling her my Rumble 25 is too heavy for me to schlep around.

Sunday I got a text from her telling me she’d bought me an amp and we could keep it at her place so we can get together whenever we want!

Help me.

15 Likes

Ask your fourth-grade buddy to bring her accordion to the jam. That should fix things. :smiley:

14 Likes

I hate you with the heat of a thousand burning suns.

17 Likes

Hee, hee, hee…:grin:

3 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: :rofl:
Love this

4 Likes

So… there’s a great band I am a huge fan of. District 97. In their early works (specifically the Hybrid Child album), they actually had a cello player as a regular member of the band, and it really worked. Like really well. Check out that album. She later left the band because a position with the Chicago Symphony opened for her.

So I would say embrace it. It might take a bit, but eventually you’ll figure out a groove, and it might turn out very rad.

Hey man. Accordions are rad, I grew up playing one and was this → ← close to choosing accordion over bass when I decided to get serious about an instrument and dove into BassBuzz. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you act fast, maybe you can buy it back! :rofl:

6 Likes

…I deserve that. Well played.

4 Likes

Weird Al has made a great career of it! :smiley:

4 Likes

So did Myron Floren, with Lawrence Welk.

So there’s that.

4 Likes

Excuse me, but this thread is supposed to be about ME.

Not the accordion.

Me.

This is definitely not the Tea And Sympathy forum.

Me.

14 Likes

So… I will neither confirm nor deny that when I started playing accordion in my youth, Weird Al was a big influence on the decision.

5 Likes

One of my all time favorite songs features an accordion.

https://youtu.be/qrPexqOR_T8

3 Likes

Honesty is always the best policy.
If you want to try to save the thing, suggest that its not working and for her and you to figure out some music that might work before trying again and practicing first, maybe a lot, lol.
Or, if you just can’t deal…just be honest.
Tell her you’re not digging the sound of the two and want to do different musical things.

7 Likes

Well, accordion to the number of squeezebox-adjacent™ posts, it seems to be the keys to the highway.

3 Likes

You can do anything with a cello.

https://youtu.be/uT3SBzmDxGk

7 Likes

My feedback to you is up above, but I’ll summarize: run with it. You’ve got someone who wants to jam with you. It might be awkward now, but it might turn out really awesome.

If nothing else, it’s an opportunity to expand your expectations and horizons. :slight_smile:

Damn. You’re on a roll today. Again, well played. :smiley:

3 Likes

You think you’re funny?!?

You are. :rofl:

4 Likes

Here’s a badass Thunderstruck accordion solo.

6 Likes

I’ve watched this video more times than I’ll admit to.

8 Likes