I am SO frustrated right now

+1
If you make enough of anything. Eventually a few of them will be sub par. I’ve had 2 G&L import guitars and they were superb. I’d have just returned it right from the start and moved on.

1 Like

That was suggested early on but he said he has inanimate object personification and attachment issues.

So, every time I set the bass down for a second, buzz as loud as the notes. Sometimes mid song (or riff, or whatever) there will be times where there’s no string contact and it’s buzz as loud as the note. And while I can make sure that I’m always touching something, ultimately, it’s not right. Something is wrong. And I’m not OK with that.

I don’t know that I’m soured on the brand, I may get another G&L when I exchange it this weekend. I dunno, I’ll see what they have in stock. I know that I am soured on that one G&L that I have… I don’t want to eff with it any more, to try to fix it or figure out what’s wrong with it.

It’s real easy to say something like that from the outside. The specific G&L I got, I got because of the look. It’s not a look that G&L currently offers, and the vendor didn’t have any more in stock; otherwise I would have just exchanged it. That being the case, I wanted to do everything I could to make that one work so that I could have that look without having to return it and try to find another one somewhere else.

I’ve done everything I could to make that one work now, so I’ve talked to the vendor and am going to exchange it for something else.

1 Like

Is this the model you bought? The Indonesian import?

I think this sounds like the best plan. Happiness is an intangible thing. If this would make you happiest it’s the right move.

1 Like

@JustTim have you tried playing it without your phone in your pocket? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thanks @Mike_NL for adding insult to injury :wink:

Switching off the mobile can make a comp working well. I learned this the hard way :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I feel ya brah.
However you gotta take into consideration multiple issues can bring hum in.
For example I sometimes used to use my DI directly using mobile adapter just to power it so I could play. Mobile adapters have no grounding so I was getting alot of hum when not touching strings. Also when I play in front of my big ass PC I experience hum.

If you did copper sheilding yourself, did you make sure each piece of copper tape connects to other one and then to some ground? Also make sure your copper shield doesnt touch pickup screws. And like somebody said before make sure your bridge ground is touching bare metal, not chrome.

However, I’d never go and do shielding first cause most of the times it doesn’t solve the issue cause most of production basses use conductive paint which does the same job and also copper shielding can sometimes affect the overall sound of the bass.

1 Like

Excellent advice and something I didn’t fully understand when I started out.

Did you solve it by laying down copper tape, and then punching holes in it with enough clearance for the screws?

1 Like

No insult intended; I just thought it might be something similar to what you experienced. After all, if the bass doesn’t buzz in the shop, but it does at home, it might be something external, right?

2 Likes

No problem @Mike_NL, I’m not pissed off at all. Sometimes you just can’t see the forest for the trees.

2 Likes

Yes , that was the first option and the best.
I also tried a little shrink wrap on them but that wasn’t particularly successful

Just to wrap everything up, I am no longer frustrated. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think at some ponit when you are buying multiple basses we all will run into some issues.
The sad thing is that this applies to new as well as used gear.
I almost think the new gear side is worse especially if it was the ‘last one’ and can’t do a simple swap out.
Having slogged through some tricky issues of late myself on used gear, there is a bit of personal satisfaction to get things made right on an older bass that I just love. I doubt the same satisfaction will come from a new item that needs repair.

The sad fact is that the internet gives us access to things we would have never had, but also does not allow us to “kick the tires” first. Heck, we get damaged stuff from Amazon all the time that has to go back (Pro tip - never order laundry detergent, or anything else liquid in a large heavy container online, they haven’t a clue how to pack it…same goes for album frames).

It sure can get frustrating or overwhelming at times, but try to enjoy the experiece as a learning curve. I have had the same issues with saxes, it is what it is, embrace it and love where you end up.

2 Likes

Yup, how ‘bout a 40lb, cast iron fireplace grate. Pretty much unbreakable, you’d think. Mmmmm, turns out, not so much. Arrived in three pieces.

To be fair, the Amazon folks generally do a very good job, as does the UPS driver who normally serves my neighborhood. The FedEx guy, however, left a $3k, signature-required bass propped against my garage door in the rain, and claimed on the delivery form that it had been directly handed to the recipient.

3 Likes

I can image, that this really sucks. :japanese_ogre:

My last two basses, I also bought online. The first is in the dump for a long time. The second is the one I’m doing the B2B course at. It’s a cheap one as well, because I cannot adjust the strings in the way I want to. :poop:

BUT…

… I sweared to myself: next time I’m going to buy a bass, I’ll take a few coins with me and test it first in the shop. I already have a favorite - a Yamaha TRBX 504 :sparkling_heart: - but if it doesnt fit, then I will not buy it (even if I already fall in love with it :broken_heart: )

2 Likes

Who buys laundry detergent online? You guys are living in the future down there. I have to carry it through waist deep snow from the store!

2 Likes

Uphill?

3 Likes

Both ways :joy:

3 Likes