I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

I’ve got something new incoming. Waiting for UPS to get here.

5 Likes

I’m still waiting for my amazon package that was supposed to come on the 6th, they tried to deliver it on the 8th (Saturday) when my work was closed and I’m sure they’re going to try and deliver it again on Saturday tomorrow when nobody is there :expressionless:

1 Like

Man that is the worst when that happens!

1 Like

It got here. UPS guy didn’t even bother knocking, but my dog gave him away!

2 Likes

So a few weeks ago I posted about getting a mandolin. It was an entry level model. Well I really took to the instrument so I decided to sell it and upgrade to an intermediate level one. For some reason the mandolin just feels native to me. Talk about extremes from a 34” scale bass to a 13-29/32" scale mandolin.

I just finished bringing it up to pitch and set the intonation. Plays really nice. We’re gonna spend thousands of hours together for sure.

Loar LM-600-VS.

6 Likes

That looks amazing.
How does one learn to play that?
Is there a Josh for that?

2 Likes

If there is a Josh for Mandolin, I hope they call their class “Mook to Mandalorian”

6 Likes

Ha ha! I’ve actually found a few.

I bought Jerry Rosa’s method and Nashville number system course. This one makes the most sense to my brain. He’s an awesome master mandolin and guitar builder, and mandolin player.

I also like David Benedict’s beginner series. Going to probably do that one too.

3 Likes

He he the fingers are working! Not as bad as it looks!

1 Like

So I’m also taking a guitar course, as well now, from Udemy. It got a lot of excellent reviews, and Udemy had a New Year’s sale going, so hey, why not. The instructor is nowhere near Josh-caliber, imo. He knows what he is doing, but the supplied PDF resources are often wrong vs what is said in the videos, or very confusing; like, referencing exercises in a later video but you have no idea this is the case and are just left wondering where the exercises are or what he is talking about o.O People asking questions about what seems missing, and there are chord charts that are wrong. Example, the chord shows two strings muted, but in the video he says one string is muted, but has a parenthesis around it so it’s okay to play it even if it’s usually not, as it’s part of the chord, technically (but below the root).

And when people do inevitably ask these questions, he seems to tell people they are wrong, or the uploaded PDF is correct, and/or to try a different browser or adobe reader itself.

Thankfully I have 30 days to get my money back if I decide to :eyes: I’m going to stick with it a little longer…

2 Likes

Some instructors are only interested in your money. :slightly_smiling_face:

When instructors do not give answers to questions asked by their students it’s time to move on and look for a new instructor IMHO.

Have you looked at the FREE online Justin Guitar course?
His teaching style is very similar to @JoshFossgreen and who can argue with FREE? :+1:

4 Likes

Yes, and I forget why I didn’t. I’ll give it another looks since I can’t think of why not to. I’ve even recommended it to others :eyes: Sometimes I go into a “manic” phase… (it wasn’t very expensive due to the sale, either way)

2 Likes

I’m trying out the Justin course and it bores me to tears.

2 Likes

That’s too bad. I found it conveys a lot of information quickly - you know all the open chords pretty quickly, strumming technique and patterns, and have two good practice routines right from the start. I think it definitely is faster paced than Bassbuzz, it’s just that it’s more info and less song examples.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is one course that will satisfy everybody. :slightly_smiling_face:

But, there is a lot more on his site than just free guitar lessons.
Here is a YouTube Link to one I found interesting in regards to composing you own song from scratch. YMMV

1 Like

I didn’t know Udemy had guitar courses. It never crossed my mind to check.
As mentioned, check out JustinGuitar.com.
He’s great!

I think all the courses below are free (but not 100% sure). I’ve done grade 1 and 2 and those have been free.

While not recent purchases, I thought I would share a couple of photos of the guitars I play the most when I pick one up:
My Yamaha SG700S which was my very first guitar and is 21 years old!

And my PRS 594 double-cut :grinning:

5 Likes

:arrow_up: That’s a clear warning sign of a poor teacher, @Celticstar

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Very nice!

Very nice guitars!

I was seriously considering both a Revstar (with similar styling to the SG) and a PRS. They seemed really nice.

1 Like