I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

Ahhh I messed up. Yeah that’s the one I meant.

2 Likes

That sounds really great as a preamp!

3 Likes

yeah, certainly one of my favorites !

1 Like

Do you mic your cabs @terb? Would be cool to hear how that sounds.

1 Like

No, I never do this. it’s too complicated, and it doesn’t sound any better than an IR or a good modeling amp.

3 Likes

Have played the guitar since I was a kid, but acoustic only. Bought this Epiphone Nancy Wilson guitar (basically a Nighthawk) last year and just received it last month.! Having fun playing it with all the effects using my Yamaha THR30 and I actually sound like I know how to play it! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Wow so… I was just looking at these for a new board I want to put together. I wanted “the essential metal tone” and it looks like I found it.

Great sales pitch, @terb ;D

3 Likes

I changed my Mandolin strings for the first time today and it wasn’t too bad. I usually like to clean and oil the fretboard when I change strings, but I didn’t want to play with the intonation today, so I changed them one at a time to make sure I didn’t move that floating bridge.

The strings are under some serious tension in these little suckers! I kept hearing crackle and pops as I was bringing them up to pitch and was concerned one of them was going to pop.

Interesting string anchoring going on at the bridge!

5 Likes

That, my friend, looks like it could grate some cheese

3 Likes

Guitar fingers were fun, mandolin fingers are double the fun!

8 Likes

So, I have NOT bought a guitar but was offered an Ibanez AX120 in trade for the cheapo Harley Benton bass I bought for a project but now want to sell (and having a really tough time). I figure worse comes to worse I could sell the bass to GC for most likely $100ish. No more. This guitar retails for $229 and has good reviews so thought, hmmm, maybe, got nothing to lose.

Anyone know anything about them?
I figure worst case I can resell it and do no worse than not being able to sell the bass. Best case I can noodle a bit for fun.

Awaiting pics, supposedly new condition (COVID impulse buy). Awaiting color and pics.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/ax120_5a_03.html

4 Likes

looks like a nice Gibson-style double buck. Not a bad choice for a starter guitar, you should give it a shot :slight_smile:

I recommend justinguitar.com

1 Like

Not entirely sure I want to learn how to play it, lol, but the basics would be pretty neat just to know and noodle.

1 Like

Don’t know anything about this particular guitar, but
I do know that GC offers 40% of the average used price for your instruments. In other words they rip you off on your trade.

You would be surprised how easy it is to pick up a guitar. A lot of bass songs work for bass and vice versa.

Ibanez is great. The budget guitars are good quality imo. This seems like a nice deal :+1:

1 Like

Learning some chords is good for you! Also it’s good perspective on finger pain; you’ll never ever complain about any bass strings ever again.

2 Likes

Well, now with pictures turns out its a GIO GAX70

Do you all still think its a good deal or not as much?
They range from 150-200 at GC used.

1 Like

Less, yeah; the GIO line is their lower entry level line, and as you note it’s a bit cheaper. Both of those are entry level guitars, it’s just that the AX120 looks slightly nicer. Otherwise they are similar, both Gibson-scale HH guitars with tone-o-matic bridges (not my fave). Both have inexpensive woods (not necessarily bad) and likely cheaper electronics.

One difference is the AX120 is made today but the GAX70 hasn’t been made in 13 years.

I’d pass personally.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s why I can’t find any info on it.
He said it was ‘like new’, and gave me the wrong model, which makes me think he is hiding other stuff.
I can go buy a $200 guitar at GC today or trade my bass in there for one for a bit less and its brand new.

Thanks.

I am asking him if he took pics of the wrong guitar, lol.
Might as well F with him a bit since he was trying to be cagey.

3 Likes

Ahh, looks like they started manufacturing them again - they stopped in 2009 and restarted. Sorry about that :slight_smile:

Still, you have a known HB bass (that won’t sell for much) and the offer is to trade it for an unknown entry-levle GIO (which won’t sell for much, and you have little actual interest in). I’d still pass. Unless you want to learn guitar :slight_smile:

1 Like