I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never tried 9s. I’ve mentioned before that I tend to play kind of hard. I’m comfortable with 11s on my electrics and 12s on my acoustics (down from the 13s I used when I was playing more bluegrass). So my guitars are set up for those.

2 Likes

If you want to keep the 9, you can run super light top, regular bottom which is 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46.

2 Likes

Well I had 2 packs of strings, so I changed the E and intonation was spot on. Also adjusted the truss rod a bit, and even tried lowering the pickups. Neck looks even, so I guess that is where it intonates with 9s.

2 Likes

Yeah. Intonation shouldn’t change until you change the geometry, which will probably primarily be via different tension changing the neck relief. I would guess that all sets of the same strings should intonate roughly the same, whereas going to heavier strings might make a difference? Hard to say.

1 Like

Not a big deal, not having a spring doesn’t bother me so it’s ready to be played! I’ll probably chop a few coils and stick it back in at some point.

2 Likes

It’s because it’s F major, i.e. it’s the IV chord in the first (or maybe second) key you learn (C). Any other barre chord would either have an open position equivalent (G, A etc) or would be in a key you’re very unlikely to play in as a beginner.

2 Likes

Apparently low E intonation isn’t an uncommon problem on strats, I looked at the saddle on my pacifica and the spring on the E is almost completely compressed. Several posts I saw said that it can be caused by a high neck and middle pickup.

2 Likes

Interesting - I had a Pacifica too, and the spring was not all the way compressed.

(Really liked the Pacifica for a strat-style guitar!)

3 Likes

Except there’s no need for a full F barre chord, you can play it on 3 strings, only barre the B and E strings or play an F/C. You can even play the F/C shape and add the E string with your thumb.

Everyone gets along with a 4 string d chord just fine. People would be much better off learning barre chords higher up the neck and moving down as they got better/stronger.

People get talked into this this f barre chord like it’s some rite of passage when it really isn’t necessary most of the time.

1 Like

It was my first electric 4 years ago and I ended up getting it for free. A guy was using it to play rocksmith, it had a broken pup selector so he’d just twisted the wires all together. He told his wife to get rid of it and she though he meant to sell it. I got to the door, he told me the story and although I was going to give him like $125 for it, he gave it to me for free :slightly_smiling_face: I think it cost me $20 for a selector switch. Then I bought a new pick guard and some fender tex Mex pickups for it and never installed them :joy: maybe this winter… I mostly play my Yamaha AES620 right now if I play guitar.

3 Likes

Those are great.

If I were to get another 6-string I would probably be tempted by a RevStar - they sound amazing but just look kind of goofy - not in the good goofy that I would go for, more like a stunted Gibson.

Oh wait - I could get a SGV300! Ok problem solved if that time ever comes :rofl:

It would be like my SBV’s little sister.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree, I was just answering why the F barre is learnt over other, even less useful barre chords.

Another shout out for justinguitar from me, he’s just brilliant and most of his lessons are free. Even Josh can’t match that! And he teaches smaller Fs before the full F barre.

3 Likes

Yeah and in that exact colour too! :laughing:

Also on guitars I prefer modern saddles since guitars tend to go out of tune more often. Got a hipshot, tonepros and a floyd rose. Evertune would be my dream saddle.

2 Likes

I saw that article. I tried a few things but no dice! My pickups are at 2mm now. All 3 pickups balance well, and they are really loud. I’m going to try 3mm just for kicks.

2 Likes

So by popular concensus Justin Guitar it is then!

4 Likes

I have felt the call to pick up a guitar as well. And the guitar world seems bigger and scarier than the bass. And I don’t really want dive that deep into the guitar world.

Seeing you have an answer to your question (and actually one of mine too :stuck_out_tongue: ), do you mind if hijack it for recommendations, just for a little bit I swear?

What would your recommendation be for a versatile guitar for under $600? Versatile in the sense that it fits a broad playing styles and musical genres, and that won’t give me GAS for at least another 5 years :sweat_smile:

I’ve been recommended the PRS SE Custom 24 which so far seems to be sort of like what I’m looking for, but knowing next to nothing related with guitars I have no idea.

1 Like

No worries @gcancella, hijack away! :slight_smile:

I tried one at GC the other day. Seems well built, but the neck was really thin, at least to me.
I would recommend going to a guitar store and just trying as many as you can to see what you like. That is what I did. Played G, D, and E chords, and pentatonic scale on like 30 guitars. I’m sure they were glad to see me leave the store. lol

Well I had another productive lunch hour. I found an extra spring from a bass bridge, cut it down, and it fit perfect on the E saddle. Aesthetic eyesore fixed! :slight_smile:

Chica-Chica-Pow-Pow!

Now I just have to learn to play the darn thing!

9 Likes