I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

Why? Most people that have them at home can’t worth a damn either. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Ha Ha probably sadly true!

2 Likes

Can’t go far wrong with a Squier Classic Vibe Strat - go for an HSS version (humbucker in the bridge) for extra versatility. Though I don’t know if they do an HSS Classic Vibe. Or for a bit more (not sure if it’ll be under 600 dollars) a Fender Player Strat - they definitely come in HSS varieties. I have one and love it.

2 Likes

Squier Classic Vibe '70s Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar Walnut - $499

1 Like

So…what dedicated practice amp should I get? Something for bedroom volume level?

1 Like

Boss Katana 50.

2 Likes

Sticking with the theme :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Yamaha THR series is very highly thought of too. Probably slightly more suitable for low volume bedroom practice than the Katana, but would struggle if you ever wanted to accompany anyone.

1 Like

That’s the most common advice I’m given. But I can’t play guitar to save my life, and also wouldn’t know if it’s the right fit or not. Like bass. I now know what I like and what feels comfortable, back when I started? Not so much :sweat_smile:

I’m sure I would be banned after the first trial ahah.

I live in small country, we don’t have big guitar stores around here. Whatever we have is much more like a mom & pop store than a gc equivalent. And they seem to be pretty much vanilla (strats & teles) and more traditional (acoustic) oriented. Classic guitars, cavaquinhos (the grandfather of the ukelele *!) and violins.

1 Like

I owned a Boss Katana 50 and Yamaha THR and both are excellent choices. The Katana is bigger in size and probably a bit more versatile, but if I had to pick one I would probably go with the Yamaha.

You could also consider the Zoom G1 Four which is the guitar version of the B1 Four. These days I do all my guitar playing with NeuralDSP plugins.

1 Like

Any HSS strat style will be pretty versatile - five-way selector on the pickups.

I really liked my Yamaha Pacifica - really inexpensive, high quality, easy to play. Would get it over a Squier but under a Fender strat, probably.

3 Likes

Have you considered an acoustic or electro/acoustic guitar? :thinking:

Or even a ukulele. A Baritone Uke is tuned to the same 4 higher strings of a regular guitar (DGBE) and there are two less strings to complicate things, for instance a G chord is a single finger chord. It’s like a 1/3-1/2 size acoustic guitar with only four strings :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did indeed. But I’m only “allowed” one guitar, and I think an electric one would be a better fit for me. But… I’m considering offering a Fender Malibu to my SO for christmas. I found a loophole :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Here again we are in the area of personal preferences.

By electric guitar I take it you are talking along the lines of a Stratocaster or Les Paul, yes.
A lot of people feel it is easier to learn to play guitar on an electric over an acoustic guitar, primarily because of the lower string gauges. I agree with them but own several of each. I particularly like the convenience of an acoustic as a grab it and jam with others guitar but again that is just me.

Looks like a good choice and has Fishman electronics. :+1:

One thing I would like to warn you about when buying an acoustic is to make sure that the setup is right before you take delivery because adjusting the string height at the bridge is a lot different than an electric or Bass. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck.

2 Likes

In my case is mostly because I have a “project” (nothing serious) as a one man band, and I would like to add a guitar layer to the new tracks I’m working on, and maybe even revisit the older ones.

I shared these here somewhere already, but so you can understand what I mean I’ll leave the 3 most complete ones I did so far

This, apart from drums and “keyboards” on the last one, it’s all bass! While I like that detail, I feel stuck sometimes with the range and flexibility I get from the bass

2 Likes

That’s why I still practice guitar every week :+1:

1 Like

Initial report on the Strat after one day of practice…that darn volume knob gets in the way! lol

3 Likes

Nice ,are you doing the drums as well?

2 Likes

Not exactly. I pick some midi drums, edit them a bit and sequence them as I see fit. Rust rider had the most editing, but even then not enough to call them “mine”.

2 Likes

I’d recommend a good drum plugin in the DAW. Programming drums becomes very, very easy once you get used to MIDI sequencing in MIDI editors. It usually takes me an hour or so to do a whole song, full drums including cymbals and fills.

2 Likes