I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

What did I do? Acoustic is harder to play then electric, although the strings aren’t as painful.

2 Likes

harder to change the setup too, and probably a different scale length

1 Like

Not so you would notice on the scale length. PRS is 25.3", FGN is 25.5"

They’re both nice guitars and sound great. I think the body is throwing me off. Just a thing. Time to commit

It’s not uncomfortable, just different

1 Like

Interesting, because PRS electrics are Gibson scale (24.75), and you definitely notice.

1 Like

Not exactly : PRS electrics are typically 25". but yeah it’s close to the Gibson’s 24.75".

2 Likes

An interesting overview of the different electric guitar types by Paul Davids:

https://youtu.be/hEOuGs7m8bw

3 Likes

I love that you can tell the superstrat is an Ibanez just from the silhouette :rofl:

2 Likes

Is the action a lot higher than the electric? That could be part of it. Or the way the nut is cut. They tend to leave those pretty high

My (sold) Martin had a really high action. Had to do some research but that height seems not uncommon. Adjusting the truss rod didn’t help much. Its probably how you play a Martin? My Taylor action is much more like my electric guitars which I prefer.

2 Likes

Martin guitars are often a bit hard to play, yes. very “vintage-style” …

2 Likes

The nuts usually need filing and almost all bridges are too tall for my liking from
The factory. I reset them all like my electrics. When I do setups for guys that really dig in hard I. Their acoustics I might leave it a little high. But not factory high.

2 Likes

Yeah the bridge was the “problem”. Shaving the bridge saddle would have done the trick.

Yeah, I’m not sad about letting that one go.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed that the action is too high, I have had that on basses and I don’t have the impression that’s the case here. I will check more closely after work though.

I think the problem is two fold, and problem might be an overstatement. I think it’s teething pains on a new instrument.

Anyway. one is my strap (even at max) which worked well on a bass, hold my acoustic up and I feel like a unplugged Tom Morello. Which changes the angles

Two is the thickness of the body also changes the angles and I am having issues finding the right strings or rather also hitting the wrong strings. Overall it’s stuff that practice will solve. Just kvetching about it.

Also having problems fretting - not getting close enough to the frets. So slowing down, applying my bass knowledge to fix the problem.

1 Like

How dare you logic your way through this process… :nerd_face::sunglasses:

1 Like

The PRS is a sweet sounding instrument. The neck feels super nice, it has a glossy finish but doesn’t have that tacky gloss feel. I’ll zap it with finger ease if it shows up though.

I also hooked up my FGN to my Blue Octave pedal and my Blue Man overdrive and played a little Seven Nation Army and got some cool sounds, but a lot of buzz from the signal chain, and as my goal was more to practice, I just unplugged from the pedals. Don’t need to get distracted by a pedal board right now

1 Like

I need to read the Bass Players Manifesto again and get re-indoctrinated. Thanks for the wake up call!

1 Like

Smart move. Altho I really do love a bit of delay and reverb for guitar. Or lots of gain :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got delay and reverb in the amp

1 Like

Futile :rofl:

2 Likes

Still waiting on my pickguard, which spent five days bopping around China. It’s now in Japan, but apparently is being shipped by a shipper out of Taipei, which makes no sense in any possible interpretation. It started in QingDao, which is actually quite close to Japan, and then went down to Shenzhen, then over to Dongguan, then to Japan. This is kind of like shipping something to Mexico from California, and having it go to New York, then Florida, then Cabo San Lucas, while being shipped via Royal Mail.

Whee!

1 Like