I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

It’s interesting. One thing I did not expect was how much my Telecaster is making me appreciate my Revstar. Both are great guitars, and very different. They complement each other nicely.

Yamaha really nailed it with the Revstar Standard. There’s no discernable quality difference between the MII Revstar and the MIJ Tele, and the Revstar actually has some nicer features. Meanwhile the Telecaster is exactly what I wanted too, a high quality Telecaster with some modern improvements. They both cost almost exactly the same.

2 Likes

that’s why I said you needed one guitar with humbuckers and one with single coils :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely good to have both!

2 Likes

A couple recommendations in addition to Justin:

And of course the Adam Neely of 6-string:

4 Likes

I just received the very last missing part for my current Stratocaster build : a custom pickup that I’ve ordered to FBS, a french boutique brand. This is not one of his models, it’s a true unique build.

Alnico 2, 8.8k in 43 AWG and a baseplate like on a bridge Tele pickup. Can’t wait to try it !

There will be a bit more electronics than in a standard Strat , so I had to route the body a bit to enlarge the cavity.

8 Likes

That looks like a very deep rout!

1 Like

Nothing extreme ! the stock cavity was really small

6 Likes

Can’t wait to see it!!

That’s where the tonex goes :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Love the color

2 Likes

Yeah that color is fantastic

2 Likes

It’s called “Race Green”, it’s a rare custom color. It’s close to the “Ocean Turquoise” which is rare already. I’m a big fan of those rare metallic custom colors.

2 Likes

Very interesting:

2 Likes

Really liking Sean Daniels’ stuff a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYf5_2d_YJ4

Here’s a question for the actual guitar players here… how important is the “correct” method of strumming everyone teaches now? By which I mean your arm is always making the strumming motion, whether or not you do the strum, keeping rhythm like a metronome while you will strum with the pick on the correct up and down strokes in the pattern and just sort of glide over the strings (but keeping the down/up rhythm going) on the rests in the pattern? Like Justin describes here at this timecode:

I find it very unnatural as opposed to just strumming up or down when needed. I am not saying it’s wrong, just that coming from the bass it feels odd. The equivalent on bass would be to keep an eighth note air-bass chug going at all times just over the strings but only actually pluck the string when it is the correct time :rofl:

1 Like

Think of it less like always moving and more like dynamics. If you have to restart the pendulum most people would be late to the strum. Behind can be a musical expression but late isn’t acceptable. Keep the motor running and dance on the throttle. That’s the music.
Yes. The answer is yes. The constant motion will make things easier later. If I haven’t muddied the waters with useless word pictures.

3 Likes

I figured I was going to need to bite the bullet and get used to it.

1 Like

Same! This got me to the point where I was asking advice in the pick thread. I actually learned strumming from Justin too.

2 Likes

All the online teachers teach this this way so you can’t escape it :rofl:

2 Likes

This is the way.

2 Likes