I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

So how is it? I hear so many bad things about Epiphone but the SG is just a classic shape

3 Likes

The Epiphone SG’s and LP’s are really highly regarded. Based on the examples I have seen I simply don’t get why, but I am willing to believe if you get a good one they can be great.

1 Like

I have had both great and terrible Epiphones as far as quality. Just as hit and miss as any Squier. The notorious dig is how dark the stock humbuckers are. I’ve upgraded many but in all honesty, get an eq pedal and dip the low frequency/frequencies until the sparkle pokes through. Works like a charm. Until I want new pickups.

1 Like

I love the fat neck, it’s super comfortable to play but it’s got crazy neck dive! I put the strap over my head, sat down and hadn’t even plugged in and :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: other than that, i like playing it more than all my other guitars :slight_smile:

I got it almost new from a guy who worked at the local music store, it would go sharp all the time but i reworked the nut a bit, lubed it and it stayed in tune nicely after that. I was going to make it my slide guitar but i like playing it enough that might have to move the strap button and see if that fixes the neck dive

2 Likes

They’re just kind of muddy… i think i was going to put Seth Lover or pearly gates pups in there at one time? I have one LP style guitar with Jazz/JB, i was going to put P-Rails in my epi LP but i decided that I don’t play guitar enough to spend money and I don’t care that much :smile:

1 Like

Try the eq trick!! Much cheaper than new pickups for sure. And a cheap Amazon roller bridge in place of the tuneomatic helps the tuning stability a lot as well.

The whole point of buying new PUPS is to buy things :grin: tuning stability was great after i fixed the nut.

1 Like

I’m just going to say it. They look so stinking cool! When you play them in front of others they feel so cool. When you try to play them anywhere else you only feel frustration. I had 100 percent free choice between one of these, a red rocker (a la Sammy Hagar), or a super bright all yellow guitar. I quit choosing the SG because 1) nose dive–on stage for more than 40 minutes just sucked, 2) tone–literally felt like the sound was coming through bad headphones on everything we plugged it into… 3) Not a complaint: all we could get was the mud… Why?
Because the hardware rocked! But, I didn’t understand that as the recently appointed “other guitar player”, I thought the forward switch had some real significance to my playing. Turns out I was WAAAAAY backwards on that whole deal. Should have just hit the non “rhythm” setting and just kept rocking.
I guess my summation is “yeah they look cool. Yeah, they play a VERY specific way. Yeah they feedback quickly–but that’s not always bad! And finally, just dig that grungy tone they start with! They don’t get cleaner! They get dirtier and somehow that can feel really awesome!”
All I want now is to pick one up, plug it in to an old tube amp, and spill some moonshine on the fretboard and play with the broken neck of an old beer bottle… You’re killing me (in a good way), bro (@sshoihet).

2 Likes

Reminded me of this video, the most epic guitar fail i’ve ever seen! I’ve watched it so many times and it never fails to make me laugh :joy:

6 Likes

now that is funny

3 Likes

That one is so funny. He just gives up after it launches in the air :laughing:

3 Likes

Too funny. :rofl:

1 Like

Things I didn’t expect:

• I am liking playing my Revstar much more than my Telecaster. This is weird because in the past I liked my Strat-scale fretboards more than the Les Paul scale ones.
  • The made in Indonesia Revstar is a better made instrument than my MIJ Tele. This isn’t saying the Telecaster is bad; the MIJ Fender is really quite good. It’s more a testament to how good the Revstar is.
  • For guitar, Rosewood fretboards are easier for me to play on than Maple. I think it is the string visibility, not a factor on bass.
  • The P90 sounds much much better than the stock Tele neck. Ok I did kind of expect this but it’s a big difference.
  • The Revstar transformer is very cute but in practice I am not finding a real use. But what a neat idea.

Both look stellar with top notch builds. The Fender actually has a bit better electronics (except the transformer). The Yamaha pickups are, as usual, world class. The Fender pickup (bridge) is a Tele bridge so is great and I dropped a SD P90 in for the neck, so it’s great too. Both guitars sound great. But in the end, if I can only keep one, it’s clear which it will be.

I do absolutely love what Fender Japan did with the Hybrid II line though. All the nice modern quality of life things applied to old instruments. My Hybrid II P-bass is perfect.

3 Likes

I am trying hard to get into guitar, doing a intro course etc, I keep drifting to blues lessons though, possibly because they are more bass like.
I am not feeling the love.

2 Likes

One of my favorite genres.

You maybe interested in this link.

One of the best beginner intro lessons I have found. IMHO

Justin Guitar and Griff Hamlin of Blues Guitar Unleashed also have some useful information on playing Blues guitar.

3 Likes

Hey, I have started Justin Guitar, also doing an Andrew Sequin intro strumming course.
The trouble is time.
I still haven’t finished B2B and most of my practice time is learning/preparing for the jam group.
Guitar is a poor 2nd.

That’s the motto of BassBuzz I believe.

2 Likes

Second, really? :slightly_smiling_face:
Without electric or acoustic guitar where would most popular songs be?

Some genre jam groups will not even allow electric bass, or drum sets, in them.
Upright bass is acceptable but not electric bass.
Bluegrass groups are a prime example of this.

They’d probably be in the Spotify top 10 for the past decade I guess?

1 Like

We would all be obsessed over the wonderful Kiyoshi, and it wouldn’t be half bad, lol.

2 Likes