I can only play decently after 1 hour of warm up?

Hi all!
I got a big issue, and the title says it all. I can only get comfortable with my fingering/plucking about one hour into the session, and that is infuriating to the point that I sometimes will just put my bass back into its gigbag (I really need a stand).
After that, I can even play Hysteria with a blindfold (badly), but one hour is a long time that could be better used practicing some cool technique, or taking a short nap.

Am I the only one with this issue? Do you know some more effective workouts than playing random songs for one hour and sometimes even more (like I do)?

6 Likes

That first hour of warm up will diminish gradually over time and with practice. Be patient :heart_decoration:

Also: Warm up should be just that, warm up. Don’t push yourself to play songs during that period. Work on scales, arpeggios, etc. Get your fingers in shape.
Warm up for 30 minutes this way, take a 5 minute break, then get busy practicing.

5 Likes

Hey @Dr.Loveless
Everyone is different when it comes to what works, I myself don’t warm up directly, I just play and make mistakes, so I would say it’s my in direct way of warming up.:thinking:
What ever works :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

That will change. I used to do the exact same thing. I’d play for an hour or more before church just to get to know the fret board otherwise, the slightest variance from the plan would cause a proverbial train wreck. Or so I thought. Now, I just listen and I can play. It may seem like you “rust up” from day to day but you really don’t. Soon it will just click. Hear/see it, play it. Just like that. Your mind and your muscles remember more than is apparent to you.

6 Likes

Hey, people!
I just wanted to thank all of you for your precious advice and experience.
I guess you’re right, this will get better over time, like with any other skill requiring some dexterity or muscle memory.

5 Likes

If after an hour of warmup you’re able to play Hysteria at full speed blindfolded… you’re doing just fine :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oh, don’t worry. My performance is far from perfect, and it’s like one of the only 5 songs I learned back in the day. It’s just muscle memory coming from some years ago

5 Likes