I destroyed my first pick

Howdy y’all,

I am proud to say I destroyed my first pick today. I’ve used it for a while, just occasionally strumming - but when I do, I usually try to dig in as hard as possible to make as much noise, sorry, music, as possible. :grin:

I was trying to go fast enough to play Snow (Hey Oh) by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now I need to lie down, my right shoulder/arm/hand/tentacle is tired.

That’s it! :wave:
Antonio

10 Likes

Congratulations that’s awesome. I go through about a couple of dozen so far. Not playing but it just they just kept disappearing, lol.

7 Likes

Malcom Young dug so hard he might go through two picks in a song. There’s something to shoot for.

5 Likes

When I played guitar, I tended to use really thick picks for speed and note articulation. The best were Dragon Heart picks. If you could wear one of them down, it would be a miracle.

4 Likes

I am forcing myself to learn to use a pick as well,
I like these ones so far:
STEALTH XL RGD Guitar Pick ?Çô AttakPik

They are thick, have 2 useable shapes and they glow in the dark.

3 Likes

Still loving dunlop ultex for both bass and guitar. Tortex good too.

3 Likes

When I do use a pick I’ve been using a Dunlop John Petrucci signature pick for both bass and guitar. Not the best strumming pick. I go thinner on my acoustic if I have a lot of rhythm and strumming work. Elsewise it’s the JP and me.

1 Like

Yeah, the Ultex and Tortex are great but the Ultex are way more durable. That’s why I use only Ultex : I can destroy a Tortex in a few hours, but a Ultex lasts for years. I don’t know what plastic they are using on those, but that’s a really incredibly durable one.

2 Likes

I am using Fender picks in the heavy gauge - actually not that tough, has a little flex. Obviously the first pick I really used, so I appreciate your recommendations. :+1:

1 Like

I’d used Dunlops before with tortex and they are great but @terb turned me on to the Ultex and he’s totally right, thy are made out of a miracle material. Very durable, with a smooth texture so the strings easily flow off of them, and strong enough to allow a lot of control while picking.

1 Like

Which gauge do you guys use for the Dunlop Ultex? Is 1.0 a good middle ground?
:smiley:

1 Like

Yeah .88 and 1.0 are my favorites.

1 Like

My favourite pick is the Rombo Crisp: https://rombopicks.com/products/rombo-guitar-pick-set-crisp-4-picks
It is 1mm, but the flex is very similar to the .88 Tortex. I still use the very first one I got, and it still looks as if it was new.
The very first Tortex I used only got through a few songs until the tip was basically gone.

1 Like

I don’t have a Rombo but I have some similar picks. They are interesting.

For me the draw for Tortex is the texture. Feel good to hold and play. Not quite as durable (but I also don’t destroy them THAT fast.)

Ultex has a good texture too but very different than Tortex (or most other plastics really).

1 Like

I have a couple of the Ultex .88s I like also the 1.5 Dunlop is good too, also the Big Stubby

1 Like

I’m between .88 and 1.44 but 1.0 is a good start point, yeah ! or maybe 1.14 (my favorite)

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

1 Like

I imagine there is an alternate space/time filled almost entirely with socks and guitar picks… Maybe socks and picks are actually 4D objects? :thinking:

1 Like

That’s why you need glow in the dark ones

From The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

“Somewhere in the cosmos, he said, along with all the planets inhabited by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking treeoids and superintelligent shades of the color blue, there was also a planet entirely given over to ballpoint life forms. And it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they knew they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli, and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life.

And as theories go this was all very fine and pleasant until Veet Voojagig suddenly claimed to have found this planet, and to have worked there for a while driving a limousine for a family of cheap green retractables, whereupon he was taken away, locked up, wrote a book and was finally sent into tax exile, which is the usual fate reserved for those who are determined to make fools of themselves in public.”

1 Like