I had a professional setup, but

I really like that idea…

But if the neck is in real bad shape, you may be on the market for a new bass. See if you can get a good recommendation to a luthier, give them a call to let them know the scenario and see if you can get them to eyeball it and estimate before you drop it off and spend more money.

6 Likes

I Might do this, I’m not into throwing money at it if it’s a dead end. I did get an imperial set of Allen keys yesterday and tightened the rod. The relief lessened slightly but of course it introduced some buzz but it does feel easier to play so it might be worth another look by a pro.

2 Likes

You could also order another neck if you really want to save this bass and don’t mind dumping money into it.

3 Likes

Maybe it needs a shim?

2 Likes

First guy shimmed it, sounds like.

2 Likes

Here is my acoustic which has really high action.

It’s just over 3mm. The angle makes it look like less. I consider this on the edge of playability and I would expect most people here to balk at this. Particularly for a beginner. Its playable but definitely makes everything more difficult.

I thought I liked a high action but compared to what others have posted I guess I like a medium action.

Based on the picture, I would start looking for a new instrument unless someone will give you a second opinion for free and says they can get the action down to 2mm. You may not want it that low but if they can get it that low, then you have some room to work when figuring out what you like.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, this question hasn’t been answered yet… Don’t forget that action height doesn’t depend on the truss rod alone. @moore.jez could you post a picture of your bridge and saddles as well?

1 Like

If shimming the neck has not dropped the action to a value you are happy with, the last option is to reset the neck completely - shave half a millimetre off the neck pocket at the free edge, put the neck back in and check the set-up, repeat if necessary.

i think the real question to be answered here is is this bass worth it to you to sink money into to try to get it in decent shape? and if so then you need to decide what your limit is.

2 Likes

Just to come to a conclusion, thanks for all of your input.
I’m going to keep playing this one, and will replace it if I feel it’s holding my progression back. It’s in a playable state, and I might make some more adjustments as I learn more about setups.

1 Like

Good for you! I know it’s probably a bit disheartening when everyone says to get a professional setup, and your luthier hands it back to you and says, “this is the best I can do.”
I had the opposite problem :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I had a setup done and the guy did an amazing job and was justifiably proud of his work getting the action down. And it was great … for someone else. I played it in his his shop and it was rattle clank, rattle clank. He raised the action a bit. Rattle clank, rattle clank. We worked on it for a while, to the point where he said, “seriously, dude?” I left with a setup I was happy with, but he was sighing and shaking his head.
If you like the bass and can play it, play it. It’s your bass.

2 Likes

Hell yeah! This is the most important thing. Making music is, largely, a selfish pursuit. If it makes you happy then that’s all that matters.

I’ll add that there are upsides to playing with a high action. When I switch to my Jazz Bass it’s like running with ankle weights and then running without them. That high action has forced me to have stronger fingers and to think more about the precision of my playing.

I think most of us jump on the topic like we do because none of us want to see somebody quit playing because of a difficult to play instrument. As long as you can make it work for you and you’re still having fun playing, that’s all that really matters.

4 Likes

This is why I will never pay for a setup.

Everybody has there own way of playing and what suites one does not work for another.
There is enough information on this forum and the internet to do the job yourself.
You did the right thing though by trying it out after it was done and getting it sorted.

Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end :+1:

2 Likes

I always wonder if I’m doing it right and I’ve paid for a professional setup twice. Both times I wasn’t happy with what they did.

2 Likes

This is where you really have to get to know your luthier and they have to get to know you. If you walk in and say “im new to bass, set me up” he is going to set you up as a beginner so you don’t buzz etc and you may not like the setup, and not know it.

Its like going to the doctor, you have to know what’s wrong with you, what you are feeling, for them to sort out what to do.

Nothing wrong with going back and saying 'I like things different", but if you dont know what different means yet then hard to do. The more you work with a luthier adn build relationship, the more you will get out of him.

I do my own setups but still bring my luthier things i have questions on or want to learn about or just cant sort.

And the luthier did the right thing by having me play it before packing it up. He was great about making adjustments, just a little surprised that I play as hard as I do. Even then, we came to a compromise. He’s also a bass player & suggested that with the better setup I wouldn’t have to fight the bass as much as I was. He was right. I’ve lightened my technique since then, though I still prefer a moderately high action so I can dig in when I want to.

2 Likes

Unrelated to your problem @moore.jez sorry for the hijack but I have to vent about a recent setup I did and didn’t want to open a new thread.

So I sent my pandemic-project-bass for a professional setup and overall review. It came out playing and with low action and everything looked fine.

However, there are major fret buzz issues with E and A strings on the first few frets. I mentioned this to the luthier and he stared at me like I was saying the dumbest thing ever and said “It’s meant to be that way”.

I mean, it’s not a matter of technique. Whatever way I play the G on the E string (for example) it will buzz. Loudly.

I know this is not normal. But I want to understand the luthier’s posture. He was highly recommend by other musicians (pros even). I’m confused as hell…

4 Likes

Reco’ed by guitarists or bassists?
My guy is a bassist and wouldn’t go for that.
Maybe he just thinks 'big strings buzz, suck it up".

3 Likes

That’s the thing… the luthier is a bassist :rofl:. Forgot to mention that

3 Likes

well, I guess his view of the world is different.

This is what I mean about establishing a relationship with a luthier, so he knows what you want etc. Otherwise they do what they think is right, which, in all fairness, MAY be right for him and others but not right for you (although this seems wrong all over the place).

2 Likes