I may soon be in trouble

Last time I recorded anything was back in the early 80’s, with a Revox 4 track recorder and a handful of condensor mics. Recorded instruments: a few basses, a guitar, makeshift percussion and a harmonium.

I’ve now got my feet wet a bit with Audacity, but I now have a 49-key MIDI keyboard incoming, so I need to get into MIDI.

Daaaang.
Expect many questions in the near future… :no_mouth: :dizzy_face: :laughing:

5 Likes

Cool. What keyboard did you go for. Most of them come with some sort of DAW.
I bought a Novation Launchkey 49 that came bundled with Ableton live lite
Very powerful but I haven’t really had a chance to fully understand it yet
It is on my very long list of things to learn

2 Likes

I got a secondhand, very basic M-Audio Keyrig 49. Comes with Ableton Live Lite and some proprietary software.

I paid… sit down… 10 euros for it. Just what’s needed for someone who is am absolute beginner!

4 Likes

Here is a free course on Ableton Live 10 lite
And here is a list of paid for courses. There is a sale on at the moment so most courses are £11,99

2 Likes

Ah, is Udemy having their biweekly sale again? :wink:

5 Likes

Did any of you guys get Udemy’s bass course “The Professional Bass Masterclass”?

No. I am doing a music theory and the Ableton course
I quite fancy this African Bass course

1 Like

Is that the 2018’s?

3 Likes

No, it’s a typo. This was meant to read “the early 80’s” (as in, the previous millennium).
Thanks for spotting this; I’ll fix it.

3 Likes

SIX DAYS LATER

So, today, the thing finally arrived – our local mail delivery service appears to have Corona too.
The Keyrig 49 is a basic legacy device, for which drivers and software are no longer developed and supported. This probably explains why it was sold at such a ridiculously low price. But I decided that it was worth a try (and being a software engineer myself, I know a hack or two about getting legacy stuff to work, haha).

To get it to work under Windows 10, I had to jump through a flaming hoop, backwards, blindfolded, hands tied behind my back, three times. But I did it.

It came with Ableton Live Lite 6, which installed successfully, and looks like Windows XP. But it works.

I also installed Ableton Live Lite 10, which works also. I requested a new Live Lite serial number (I suppose the previous owner had used the old one), and it came in literally seconds before I started to type this sentence! :slight_smile:
So, I opened Ableton Live Lite 10, allowed it to authorise, and lo and behold:

Looks like I now have a legal Live Lite install!

Next, I’m going to run through the course provided to me by @studio, and I might also take a look at Cakewalk before I take a decision, but Ableton Live Lite should have me covered for the time being.

ps: I have also just played Aunt Billie J on this. :grin:

4 Likes

Nice! If you are in to synthesizers, the next thing you will want to do is look at software synth VSTi’s. I recommend starting with Synth1:

It may look cheezy but it’s a much loved software emulator of the Nord Lead. There are literally tens of thousands of patches for it, too.

These should work in Ableton:

not sure about Lite though. If not, I would find a different DAW - the ability to load and use software instruments is a basic requirement IMO :slight_smile:

There is a really excellent VSTi for my old synth I used to own, I am pretty tempted. Not free though.

I miss that thing.

3 Likes

Oh WOW, that will be helpful! :heart:

If it would help me to make noises I like, I’d be into it – and I think I am.

In the early eighties, I was heavily influenced by ambient stuff like Ryuichi Sakamoto. Alchemy (from Sylvian & Sakamoto) is still one of my really-loved albums. In these days, I had a Revox A77 4-track recorder with 4 Philips condensor mikes. I also had a harmonium, a Telecaster with .10 strings, and two bass guitars, and for percussion, I used everything I could find in the kitchen and the shed that would make noise if you’d bang it. :wink:
I think I would’ve paid whatever I had in those days to get 10% of what modern technology has to offer…

My primary goal of getting something that has a piano keyboard is to brush up on my music theory, but I may end up recording again, just for my own pleasure – I have no ambition to release any material, or play for an audience other than my cats.
Being able to do that on a shoestring budget is huge fun.

The only thing I still have from that era is the Telecaster. The harmonium died unceremoniously, but has now been superceded by a 10 euro keyboard and Ableton Live Lite. The basses have been sold and only recently been replaced. If I quickly tally what I paid for what I have now, it would be around 500 euros, including strings and leads. That’s insane…

But I digress (I’m good at that). Yes, I’d be into anything that will help me create those backdrops. I actually did google for virtual instruments a bit, but haven’t been experimenting with that yet, so that may actually happen today.

Thank you for those links, @howard!

2 Likes

My pleasure! There’s a ton of '80s synth VSTi’s out there, including spot on Yamaha DX7 and Roland D-20/50/etc models.

Sakamoto is great, all the YMO stuff is at minimum interesting, and his soundtracks are awesome. If you haven’t heard this one you might like it:

I didn’t actually know he had teamed up with David Sylvian until you posted it.

2 Likes

:no_mouth:
Ryuichi was involved with some of Sylvian’s best work in that era! Wait, let me throw something in that container where it’s always Friday…

Did he help with Brilliant Trees? I could actually picture that easily.

edit: why yes he did :slight_smile:

I had never known that, for like decades, lol.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that you literally mean your cats :crazy_face: I have seen you use this term before, and I thought you were using the jazz slang for your buddy musicians… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My buddy musicians:

4 Likes

Worked just fine in Ableton Live Lite.
There is one caveat: Ableton Live 10 is only available in a 64-bit version, and you won’t get 32 bit DLLs to work in a native 64 bit application domain, or in plain Dutch: 32-bits VSTi’s won’t work in Ableton Live 10.