I need some advice

At the moment I do the course on a Ibanez sgr200. I bought myself a Shecter Johnny Christ 5 string for Christmas because I love the look. I was so disappointed of the sound compared to my Ibanez, that I will send it back.

I figured out what I really want and ended with a short scale to practice on the couch while my wife is watching TV…

Now I can’t decide witch one to buy and I need advice😅

Is there a big difference between this two?

4 Likes

Mustang all day. I’d stay away from the Mike Kerr model, it’s way way over price and it has some build quality issues, please check the interwebz for more info. Paying that much might as well get the American performer mustang.

If you just want a couch axe maybe just get the Squier CV mustang, the “mustang” pickup is rather unique and fun it also has the mustang string through body bridge. Truly, well made and looks great with the tinted neck. I had 2 that I swapped the pickup to Lola pickup and it’s quite awesome sounds every bit as good if not better than my American performer mustang.

If you need the fender badge then check out the Vintera II competition or the JMJ.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the advice! I don’t really want a fender, but I’ve read all the time people complaining the squiers are cheap quality and you need luck to get one delivered that hasn’t quality issues.

2 Likes

Ooh… This is interesting to me. I have some shoulder issues and have been wondering about a short scale to reduce the reach for the lowest notes. I can’t justify having two basses so it’ll be a trade-in for me. I’m looking everywhere for useful info so thank you! Haha

2 Likes

The Classic Vibe series has been quite awesome with fit and finish build quality same goes to the 40th anniversary series. On the other hand the quality issue seems to be toward the MIM of the 2020-2022 vintage as well as some USA made models.

The difference between the surf green mustang is paint texture. The Squier CV comes with the standard Poly finish but the American Performer comes with satin powder finish which is very soft to the touch and it would probably age really well. Only 2 colors come this way white and surf green, my sunburst and their other colors are poly finish.

3 Likes

I second this. They are great basses and can be found for a discount if your patient.

3 Likes

Is this one of the good ones?:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

In surprised that it’s more expensive

Yes it’s a great one

2 Likes

You can trust @Al1885 on this, for sure. The man knows the quality of Squiers from first hand experience. Many, many times. :guitar: :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar: :rofl:

3 Likes

Somewhat Contrarian Experience:
I bought an Ibanez Mezzo 32" scale with the same idea of a convenient “couch bass.” It was nice; very decent build quality, and played nice with a slim neck. I enjoyed it, but after the “new bass” buzz wore off, I realized that I mostly wanted to play my jazz anyway. Maybe it was going back and forth on scale length, or who knows what, but I ended up selling it.

4 Likes

The Mike Kerr bass is regarded as one of the worst products on the market. A lot of quality and design issues. I would avoid.

The JMJ is regarded as the best Mustang model on the market if you want to spend the money.

The Squire CV 60s mustang, which I have, is a nice instrument. I also have a player mustang, I don’t know it’s worth the extra money. I got the Squire Mustang and a Novack pickup installed in it for less than the Player Mustang, and it sounds great.

Warning on the Vintera mustangs - you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss.

3 Likes

Well yeah! that. you have know idea what kind of pain it is that you have to do that, lol.

I tend to agree with this. Plus, the couch bass is better if it’s small. Ubass is nice but the poly strings are not fun to play. I found that TinyBoy bass is quite fun to play, they are 23" scale not too short just a couple inches shorter than the electric guitar. They use special string by Dogal which sound and more importantly feel the same as the regular bass.

I like that idea so much I actually have one custom made for me. It would be a fun couch bass. If you are thinking about getting a Mike Kerr, then this might not be out of your price range, lol. It’s definitely not a toy bass.

Here’s what it should sound

2 Likes

…a little bit to late to worry. I’ve ordered it minutes before I read the post. :rofl:

Thanks to everyone for help!
@Al1885 The tiny boy looks great, but it’s not what I was looking for because of the small body. The vintera was one of my favourites, and after you mentioned it I decided to go with it. Thank you!

3 Likes

There’s a mod you can do to make life a bit easier and use the tool from StewMac

This would not affect the resale value because it’s more convenient to all. Just need 2 notches one on the body and another on the pickguard.

This would be a cake walk for you since you are I assumed, German precision is in the blood, :joy:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hey, I’m new to bass and want to know when I should get a 5 string?

The short answer is: when you need one.

If the genre(s) you plan to play call for a fiver, then you need one; if it/they don’t call for a fiver, then you never need one.

1 Like

He has the right of it. A fiver only has 5 notes that a 4 string can’t play, and while it makes a few songs easier to play, it makes all songs harder to mute on. The neck is much wider too.

So unless you need one, you don’t need one.

You can always setup a 4 string in BEAD tuning, get rid of the g string and add a low B, You can cover most songs by moving up the frets on the D string instead of the g. (many basslines don’t use the g anyway)

And you don’t have to deal with the muting and neck width. And did I mention weight?

1 Like

Thanks. I want to play covers of KoRn but I don’t like the cons of a five string. I think for now I’ll stick with the four string and demo a five string. (Because of the higher notes.)

1 Like