I need some advice

Yeah, hmmmm, so I am NOT supposed to buy a bass. And I live in Germany. And it really should be something special like the Limited Edition Mike Kerr Jaguar Bass that I’m NOT buying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve not bought the vintera II​:sweat_smile: and I’m really happy with my decision :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Cool, shortscale! In Orange too??!

1 Like

No, the purple one. Bin doch kein Holländer😜

2 Likes

…the decision was tough but I liked the purple one a bit more…

1 Like

Well, Sterling has a new bass announced at NAMM, short scale, not quite Orange but close

2 Likes

@LeftpeffWolf Ah, purple is pink for older boys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I must exit this discussion as I am pursuing a dangerous path here!

MUST NOT BUY SHORTSCALE!!!

2 Likes

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, your statement really keeps me awake. Can you elaborate. Everything in me wants this bass. I need good reasons not to buy it someday!
Please help me decide against it!!!

This review does not sound bad: Fender Mike Kerr Jaguar Bass review – a short-scale stunner with a unique pickup pairing that handles much more than just rock | Guitar World

Al said it’s no good, that’s enough lol

Al? :slight_smile:

1 Like

He’s normally super positive about everything so, if he hates it then there’s a good reason to be cautious.

Plus it’s waaay too much money for a Mexican bass.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw the video.

I ask myself if the G-string alignment issue is a quirk or systematic!?!?

PS China, Mexico … it’s all the same to me.

I guess that’s why you failed Geography in school? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

My family was to poor to send me to school! I had to watch over our goat instead :frowning:

3 Likes

Goat Geography™ is baaaaaad. :goat:

4 Likes

Yeah, but some of the other villagers in that isolated Dutch mountain region where I’m from cannot differenciate between the front and backside of a goat - so they’re even more worthless :slight_smile:

There’s no persuasion if you have your heart set on Kerr signature and combining that it make same as no difference where it’s made.

Aside for a few basses I own that I won’t ever sell them. The rest of my basses line up, I would always think about how much can I let it go and will I take any loss if yes, then how much I really want it.

This is a big issue as it’s not an easy fix. If the issue lies at the CNC process and the whole cavity shifted by a centimeter there’s no coming back from it. It makes even less sense to go with another magnet bar sealed pickup replacement when you buy a signature model. Unless of course you plan to sell the “ pandemic era” Fender at the next Covid 39 lockdown. :joy:

I own a couple of $1200 MIM Steve Harris and now also own that $1400 Troy Sanders Jaguar signature bass that’s pretty much the most I’d pay for the MIM unless fender decides to have the custom shop line for MIM.

Are you a big fan of Mike Kerr? Or just love Orange color?

2 Likes

So, first of all: I understand that you are the Godfather of Bass here - so I appreciate you feedback, really!

I can’t say that I’m a big fan of Mike Kerr persé. There are so many great bass players, pIaying different music and having different styles. I discover something new every day - and that doesn’t make it easier.

Basses are not like pancakes :slight_smile:

I came to like Royal Blood and I am very impressed what a bass guitar player and a drummer can do on stage. Seeing them live is a blast and just looking at their scores is absolutely fascinating - not that I can play that or will for a few years…

Being Dutch, Orange is in my DNA. I am drawn to it. But I am rational enough to ignore colour and even design (though that’s not easy).

So in the end I would make a rational decision - get the best short scale I can afford (that’s ignoring my girlfriends "“DON’T BUY A NEW BASS!” order for the sake of discussion :-)).
But again, the Kerr Jaguar touches something deep in me - that is why I struggle. I can’t explain. The last time I had that was when I was taking a test drive in a Jaguar XJS convertible. That I also did not buy as my girlfriend found it nonsense. Or the Harley-Davidson V-ROD. Also didn’t buy it - same reason.
I am into stupid stuff, or so it seems!?

I heard that the Gretsch G2220 is much better (and also being played by Kerr, incidently). I looked at it and found it … simple. Cheap, even.
Obviously I’m not an expert, but I immidiately thought about ways to modify it :slight_smile:

So again, it is a perhaps vanity discussion - but something is brooding in me and wants to be released.

Could it be a short scale bass??! ^^

2 Likes

I love burnt orange anodized too. 2 of my bikes has that color theme.

I love to mod my basses as much as the next guy but I probably won’t mod any signature series bass just to get it back to functional, :joy: joking aside, by the time you buy it it may have been the next batch already and/ or you may not get the defected one.

For $1800 tax included, personally I can get what and how I want putting together my own Fender bass even short scale.

There’s no denying that it’s a unique bass. Gold hardware, rosewood fingerboard, and my favorite pearl binding with block inlay and 30” scale to boot.

FYI there’s orange Jaguar bass PJ. You can get that even at full price it’s half the price of the Mike Kerr model then spend the rest on the upgrade parts.
I’d go to town with upgrades like the
Gold pickup from EMG
Saddleless bridge from Rayross
Gold ratio tuners from graphtech or Hipshot’s
And even gold round wound string.

4 Likes