I used the force

After watching a Victor Wooten lecture about the importance of ‘free playing’, I did something a have never done before on any instrument…I picked a key…in this case Am…and just played in that key for about an hour today. No plan, no purpose other than to just play. Not only did I feel like I got a good handle on the scale, but I came up with some neat ideas and when I was done I felt emotionally exhausted…like when you finish a good run/workout. I am going to incorporate this into my practice, as I feel like I learned more in the last hour than I have in weeks worth of trying to memorize notes and scales. Nothing too prfound to real musicians, but I feel like I’ve had a breakthrough of sorts.

8 Likes

That’s awesome. Congrats @Old_WannaBe
A minor is one of my favorite keys BTW. The tonic is conveniently located on the fifth fret of the E string, which makes it easy to play the palette of notes. Also, like it’s relative C Major, it has no sharps or flats to think about.
The only thing I don’t like about A minor, unless you have a 5 string, the only way to play the 5th below is by playing the Open E. No biggie though.

1 Like

Old_Noob, was that lecture on the Sweetwater website? I think I watched it!

2 Likes

yes

1 Like

You should read his book - The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music. A stranger walks into Victor’s life and explains the force that exists within you to play music. You won’t be able to put it down…you constantly want to hear what else the stranger has to say to Victor. Hmm it’s been 2 years since I read the book…probably time hear again what the stranger has to say

3 Likes

I have that book on my amazon cart for a few weeks now. You triggered me. Ordering it now.

Have you read the 2nd one?

1 Like

No…but I will be… just bought it… Thanks for letting me know about the book

1 Like

It’s a good read, about half way through it and digging it.

1 Like