I’ve yet to develop a bass face. Doubting my skills…

I’ve been playing for 2 years now and, as the title says, I don’t have a bass face of any kind. Should I be worried? Will it affect my playing ability in the long run? Should I give up bass and go back to fiddle?

Can anyone give me any tips on developing a solid bass face?

7 Likes

Have you recorded yourself playing songs? If not start with that I bet you already have a few, :joy: if you see yourself and still no face then up the difficulty, bass face will shows up soon enough.

3 Likes

Some of the most famous bass players didn’t sport over-the-top bass faces. These are just a few examples.

Bill Wyman

John Entwhistle

James Jamerson

Carol Kaye

Paul McCartney

3 Likes

to fake a bass face: act like you are thinking to yourself ‘this bass smells bad but it sounds so good Im going to push through and keep playing it’ (stink face+determined face)

to find your natural bass face: listen to a fav bass tune that gets you going, LOUD, and right at the best part of the song look in the mirror

1 Like

I think I heard or read somewhere that James Jamerson was a big inspiration for Paul McCartney.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Module 17: Bass Face.

Come on @JoshFossgreen, you know it makes sense :rofl:

5 Likes

You don’t choose your Bass Face.
Your Bass Face chooses you. :sunglasses: :+1:

7 Likes

For me, a bass face is kinda synonym to poker face, because most bass players I have seen seem to be more like “I am unfazed by the music, and only here for the beer afterwards”. :smiley:

4 Likes

I think you all have been trolled pretty decently here :rofl:

3 Likes

Are you maybe an egg? You won’t develop a bass-face until you hatch! :joy: :rofl: Be the egg you want to be in this world, e.g. a @mr.crispy sunny side up egg…

4 Likes

I feel like there has been a fundamental misunderstanding in much of this thread

BASSFACE is a term of art

Bassface is NOT the natural expression you have when you play bass

It is the face you make when the bass hits you for real
you dont even have to be playing bass to get it

1 Like