I was discouraged to play the short scale bass

I hope you get the chance to try every bass you can-and i hope you have the ability to then get and keep the ones you like.
As for is the short scale different? A little bit.
Playability, feel, general happiness with the size, shape and ergonomics of the instrument all play into it.
What’s right for you is what’s right for you. I think most of us here have more than one instrument-it just comes with the territory and some time playing.

Best of luck, and whatever bass(es) you pick-just keep thumping. You’ll find what fits.

3 Likes

That is how I ended up with this (short scale) one:

I went to the shop looking at gigbags, now it is my main player.
I think I may take a standard length one to the jam today but I am not certain yet.
That is how important buying the bass you like is…

3 Likes

Sadly yeah, lol

7 Likes

:rofl:

Al - this is just so perfect. You need to tune up that shed too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Short scale bass player here :wave:.

I have had no problems playing a short scale it suits me perfectly. But as others have said, try out a variety of bass’s and find the one that suits ‘you’ irrespective of what those nay sayers have told you, who sound like they’re incredibly naive.

And by the way, short scales have been used by plenty of bass greats:
Paul McCartney,
Jack Bruce (Cream),
Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones),
Andy Fraser (Free),
Glenn Cornick (Jethro Tull),
Trevor Bolder (Spiders From Mars, Uriah Heep),
Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads),
Garry Tallent (E Street Band),
Bruce Thomas (the Attractions),
Gary Mounfield (Stone Roses, Primal Scream),
Mike Watt (Minuteman, Firehose, Stooges) and many others.

They are most definitely not just for beginners starting out.

Good luck in your search but make sure you pick what suits ‘you’.

12 Likes

@Al1885, you definitely have a problem! :expressionless:
You need a bigger shed! :laughing:

4 Likes

I did a double-take also when I read the numbers… but then I shrugged and thought “Oh, well, it’s Al… he is probably not exaggerating at all” :joy:

3 Likes

Well they are not exactly for personal “consumption”. These are more for project mostly. My personal guitars I probably have 5 or 6. These little one are quite profitable and they are what funds my big GAS. Anything pink usually gone in a few days.

4 Likes

Where are you?
Growing up in another country (Asia) I’ve experienced similar things, it’s not so much a genuine pep talk but more like the blend of big brother/ sour grapes talk. If it’s so hard to find and I don’t even have one why do you want it, also what’s wrong with what everyone else is playing, why can’t you buy that kind of talk. Of course, if they have one, say a short scale stingray or a mustang they’d be showing it off to no end, lol.

Buying online “sight unseen” is not a bad thing as long as you stick with reputable brands and reputable website. Brands like Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender/Squier, MusicMan/Sterling can usually deliver a decent products and since you are already an experienced guitar player, maybe you have some maintenance skills that you can do your work on the bass or the service charge in your area is cheap enough to pay someone to do it.

3 Likes

I grew up in the Philippines^^

I did a bit of bass hunting today, sadly the short scale one I initially wanted is not available on all of the stores I visited today😩

2 Likes

Philippines, awesome! Personally I think that the Mainstream Music in Philippines has the highest quality musicianship in Asia, excluding Jazz, and Fusions. You guys definitely produces top quality international singers.

What specific short scale bass are you looking to get?

2 Likes

My late wife was a pinay! She passed in 2017 but she and I were as one for 35 years. I have been several times to Olongapo, Manila, Cebu, Tacloban, and Mahanglad Villabe in Leyte. Love the country and the people. They had some really good bands back in the day that could play just about anything. (at the bars off base)…

5 Likes

I was hoping to get the epiphone eb0…
I went to a known music store who sells that bass yesterday and said they don’t sell that specific bass anymore🙁

1 Like

Have to get the Epiphone Viola then…

I have both a 34 inch Yamaha and a 30-in G&L Tribute four-string bass. I can switch back and forth between them freely. I really enjoy my short scale bass. Stop listening to what other people tell you and go put one in your lap and play it. Make up your own mind.

3 Likes

Don’t be discouraged by anyone. If you want one get one. Short scale is pretty awesome. Here’s my latest short scale multi scale, I made a quick video for you hopefully you get your juice flowing and go out and get one, lol.

It’s an absolute beast with the tone and best of both world string tension.

9 Likes

Great job, @Al1885.

2 Likes

Thanks @MikeC Final cut Pro for iPad it’s not bad eh? I’m still now well verse on the filter hopefully I’ll get around to watch the Tutorials on that.

2 Likes

Looked and sounded sweet, man. Some really smooth moves on that fretboard. :+1:

2 Likes

I agree with with the posts above telling you to try different basses and follow your heart.

Ending up with a 34” scale bass is rubbish.

I have two basses and bought them because I like the looks, feel and sound of them. One is a semi-hollow Ibanez and the other a Gibson Les Paul Jr.

They look and sound different. The Ibanez has dual humbuckers and Gibbs a single coil.

I played a bunch of different basses and tried ones I thought I would like and some I didn’t think I would. I bought them at different times of course.

Things they have in common: They make me happy, make the sounds I like and both are 32” or “medium” scale basses. I didn’t set out with a scale length in mind but the 32” feels right for me.

Find the bass(es) that speak to your heart and they will have the “right” scale length.

Cheer y’all!

4 Likes