I was discouraged to play the short scale bass

My only 2 issues with the Gibson SG bass is the looks like a guitar. In fact I think it’s the same guitar body with the longer bass neck attach to it, this plus the heavier bass tuner would be a recipe for a neck diving disaster.

Next is the pickup, not only the kind of pickup but the location. When it’s right up to the neck heel it would make for a very warm and muddy tone. I’m not sure if that’s a great choice for you as the application would be quite limited.

There are several awesome choices for the short string bass raging from $150-500. It’s much safer route to go with a more traditional looking bass in short scale.

That’s my limited and humble opinion lol.

2 Likes

This^*^

:100:

The best Gibson sound in a short scale bass under $500 is the Squier Rascal

1 Like

I don’t get Gibson tone out of a Rascal. It’s not bad at all, just doesn’t evoke Gibson to me.

The weirdly large body throws the ergos way off, though. The arm position is strange, so it overall doesn’t feel like playing a short scale to me. Just an odd duck.

1 Like

This video was one of the reasons i tested a shortscale and now i have 2 of them (beside 2 standard ones) and they are killer, love them. Not just because of playability, but far more because of the sound they can produce. @MizuhoLine Can you tell me/us, why you want to start with one?

1 Like

Totally agree!! When the sub I was on would pull liberty in the PI between '71-'77, most all the bars had some really outstanding musicians… Before heading stateside in '73, the sub I was on then rented out one whole floor of the Kennedy Hotel in Manila and threw a three day party - all expenses paid… We had three different bands hired on to play 24 hours a day for three days along with an open bar, food, rooms, and girls of course… The bands that would play were pretty damn good, and when they would take a break between sets, many of us would hop on stage and use their equipment and play - they didn’t care,… hell, they were making a ton of money from us anyway and took into account costs of damaged equipment in their contracts…

2 Likes

Hello, since you are just learning to play bass, I think you should use a bass that suits your comfort. What’s really important I think is learning to play. Sorry, I’m late to the party.

5 Likes

When I started looking at basses, I took short scale into serious consideration as I have little rat claws for hands. Played a few at a music shop, as well as the long scale/“standard” and preferred the long scale, and decided to just learn microshifting and work on stretching. It can be done. The short scales were nice, but there was something I cant put words to that didnt feel right for me.

So in repeat of previous advice, I suggest play a few of both varieties if possible and go with what feels good to you.

3 Likes

A few words from experience, if you start on a longer scale say, standard 34” scale and drop to 30” scale not only your finger work and reach would transfer to short scale it would feel much faster as well.

Same thing does not work the other way around. If you start on a 30” scale and jump to 34” there are some recalibration period of anywhere from 10 minutes to a few weeks.

1 Like

Hi!
If you will play bass, you INEVITABLY will end up buying a short scale bass too. Better doing it right now. Anyway, it will have its place in your collection.
Thomann does not ship to the Philippines?
As for the discourageing advices:

(French, “Follow your own path, and you will reach summits.” - The contrary is true as well.)

Good luck!

4 Likes

just to maybe encourage, instead of disxxx

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been wondering, is there really a great advantage to fan frets for a 4 string bass? I understand for 5 strings and more, but what problem does it actually solve for the 4 string bass? I’ll be glad to hear any input on the subject…

1 Like

The main advantage is the string tension. One of the parameter on this build was to stretch it as much as it could for dramatic aesthetic. Since it’s a short scale it’s easy enough to handle. Also the nut has been sloped to minimize the annoying distraction when fretting the F on E string. It’s very comfortable. This one take a bit longer to recalibrate due to the maximized fanning.

2 Likes

not much to add. if you get tired of a short scale bass, it’s likely because it’s not the bass for you, not because it’s short scale. also, you can always have both you know :grinning:

2 Likes

Great advise!! Feeds directly into the Multiple Bass Disorder!! disease that most here on this forum suffer from…. A bass player can never have too many!! Just ask @Al1885…… He’s probably the worst infected around here!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I might add… typically short scales are lighter weight. Although I know there are certainly light materials used for some standard models- but in general your back and shoulders will enjoy the difference a pound or two can make after playing for a couple hours! I love both of my MIM Fender PJ Mustangs but certainly understand personal preferences and other opinions.

4 Likes

Most certainly agree @lee_editorial!! Surprisingly, the last band I played with wanted me to play nothing else other than my Hofner Shorty…. That hollow body short scale worked well in most every set list they had…. And yes, very easy on the back!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

I was perfectly happy with my 34 inchers, until I seriously tried a short scale, and the lighter weight is welcome. I have been dealing with nagging injuries and if it weren’t for the lighter weight not sure I would be playing right now.

And they sound fantastic

2 Likes

Personally, it’s not so much the weight but balance. Steve Harris bass is by far the heaviest bass I own but it’s pretty well balanced just overall heavy almost 12 pound. Some imbalanced 9 pound weight gave me a hard time before. The short scale Squier Jaguar is probably one of the bass I fought a lot because the light weight body and heavy neck and tuners.

Weight you cant do a lot about, but balance (or at least neck dive) can be addressed. Both my Mustangs had neck dive, but I swapped out the tuners for Ultra Lites and that instantly solved the balance issue.

2 Likes