Ibanez SR or SRX 700 Series

Hi All,

Since my search for the bass “that feels right” is still ongoing and I don’t want to put anymore money into expensive basses (I am no rich guy), Ibanez has peaked my interest once again. 2 models actually. The SR700 and the SRX700 (Carol Kaye’s choice). I had a Ibanez 5er long ago. It was nice but I sold it when I moved countries.

The difference, I’ve read, between those 2 700 models are: SR - jatoba, bubinga (which I love), mahogany and maple, bolt on with 3 band EQ vs SRX - neck through, maple, walnut and rosewood, 2 band EQ and wider string spacing.

Has anyone owned or played either model? Good? Bad? Anyone heard problems common with these models?

@howard - need your insight on this one. One alternative I have seen is the BB734A but I’ve heard about electronic issues.

What I like in a bass so far:

Prefer rosewood or ebony fretboards over maple
Prefer flat fretboards ie 12 or higher radius
Prefer darker necks i.e. bubinga over maple that are D shaped
I prefer a smooth heal. Even though I own Fenders I am not a fan of that block behind the neck.

So anyone? Forgive me if I am just adding more excess to our forum.

3 Likes

No issues at all with mine.

It’s one of the best basses you can buy for any price, IMO.

One interesting thing is that a couple years ago when I was trying them in stores, I did find two that seemed to have a weird issue with the EQ, but I never saw it after that (and trying many more).

3 Likes

@howard What is the neck profile like?

3 Likes

40mm nut, so halfway between a typical Ibanez SR, Fender Jazz, or Yamaha TRBX and something like a P-bass. Profile is a nice slim C, substantial but not chunky. The back is painted satin. Very very nice feeling neck. 6-bolt body join too.

3 Likes

Satin paint is such an improvement over the high gloss “sticky” necks. Its the reason I gave away my Squire. The neck didn’t have a nice glide to it. 6 bolt is also a nice feature.

Thanks @howard .

4 Likes

I absolutely hate glossy necks. Satin or tung oil ftmfw :joy:

4 Likes

Definitely. I think that’s why I like the bubinga necks so much. They are oiled not sticky and smooth to play on.

2 Likes