Ibanez SR400EQM Setup Question

I’m really enjoying the new Ibanez but the action feels a bit high for me. The maintenance manual talks about “bridges with stud lock function”. How do I know if I have this? Also, the bridge looks different to me as it does not have two screws on either side of the string for adjusting the height. See photos below.

4 Likes

both sides (for height) must be linked to the one adjustor…

3 Likes

@JerryP , I have a clone of the “stud lock” bridge. In it, the string sits not on the saddle (like in yours) but the saddle has a sideways stud that fits across the breadth of each saddle, and is mounted transversally through like an axle from one side. Mine has a third set screw to affix it into place. The stud has a thinner section in the middle that functions as the saddle seat.

If you look at the front at yours, the strings sit directly on the forged saddles.

EDIT: Like in this Hipshot. Look closely in the saddles.
51T60jf-qYL.AC_SL1200

2 Likes

loosen a string and start turning that top bolt with an allen wrench and see if it goes up and down evenly. Count turns in case it does something wonky and just turn it back.

3 Likes

Before you do anything, check if those allen bolts in the front of each saddle are locknuts. They look like they are, sound like it from the description as well. This is semi-common (all Warwick bridges have these) and are a bit of a PITA when you first encounter them.

If they are, you will need to loosen them first to move the saddles.

3 Likes

Looks like the current version of your bass has two adjustment screw on the tops of the saddles like more common ones vs your one screw. You may have to dig a bit in link below for your bridge.

https://www.ibanez.com/world/support/manual/

Ps hope your not near that angry volcano!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your help!

Those allen bolts made me think there was something different here. Ibanez supplied three sizes of allen keys with the bass, so there must be a need for them. I will try one string keeping track of everything I do in case I have to go back.

Thanks again @skydvr , @MC-Canadastan , @John_E , @howard !

3 Likes

On the warwicks, the saddle will not move until you loosen those, and you can strip the saddle bolt if you try and force it. So take care the first time :slight_smile:

Also those lock bolts are also easy to strip on the warwicks if you overtighten.

Do the instructions say much?

2 Likes

The instructions really don’t say anything. I will be very careful with the first string, but not tonight. Too late and too tired for this intricate work.

1 Like

Another thing to look out for - on the Warwick bridges with these nuts, you can also adjust the string spacing after you loosen them - the saddle will move side to side. Not sure if this is true of yours or not, but I doubt it, looking at them.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think my string spacing will change.

1 Like

yeah yours looks like it has one-piece saddles, unlike the Warwicks.

1 Like