Idiot-Proof Beginner Slap Bass (Every F**king Detail You Need to Get Started)

I love this.

2 Likes

have a little self update that I figured out how to slap!!
Not good at it (keep missing the string i want to play lol :laughing:) but so excited to try more!!
I still haven’t actually gotten to module 13 where it’s introduced yet so I won’t get too worried but it’s nice to feel like I’m getting somewhere!!

4 Likes

Getting a good sound is Step 1, that’s great! Takes a lot of practice to stop missing (mostly). :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just did this video, think it will help me. The other thing I tried after my first time thru B2B was to start over and try to slap my way thru as many lessons as I could.
Noticed in the video that Josh is playing what appears to be a Bass like the one I just got.

2 Likes

How did it go with slapping your way through on the second time around?

1 Like

Wow! Well that’s a unique way to go. Totally challenging and will reveal all sorts about your slap technique, I’m sure. Did you do the slow and medium tempo exercises as well? I imagine slapping to the really slow & simple stuff would let you hear precisely what control you have.

Which one is that? The one in the slap vid, presumably. I can’t make out what it is, but clearly a ‘stingray’ of some sort. No doubt you’ll share a pic of yours in the Show Us Your Basses (Part 1) thread. :smiley:

2 Likes

There are pictures in the show us your basses and merry bassmas threads. I think trying to slap my way thru went ok, slow and some medium workouts, don’t recall any of the fast being anything other than noise. Main problem was I didn’t stick with it.

4 Likes

Is it ok to miss this module and come back to it later when im more in the mood for it… Dont know if im missing anything that is fundamentally needed?

4 Likes

@locket nah you can totally skip it or save it for later. it’s kind of like a side quest, doesn’t affect your progress in the rest of the course. i did have fun with it though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can skip over it or come back to it later as @bjams said, @locket. . . :slight_smile:

When I took the course, I went through that module using “regular” fingering. I still haven’t been in the mood for it, either . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Thanks @bjams and @Jazzbass19

3 Likes

For me slap was one of the things that attracted me to bass playing like the Pied Piper attracted the mice( and later the kids!)

But with no interwebs ,nor anyone that knew what was what I settled into my self taught technique only to discover how that it isn’t what is needed! :astonished:

I slap with my thumb pointing down and pop with my middle finger.
And since seeing the Josh’s video above I am consciously trying to point up…but it just doesn’t want to work that way at all!
If feels like my whole forearm is in a completely wrong shape.
How bad a sin is thumb down later on? I’m really struggling with it

1 Like

I don’t think there is one (and one only) accepted technique for slapping…

6 Likes

That is the Flea way and totally acceptable obviously however as Josh also explains in this video it works better when your bass is hanging lower.

In any case stay funky as you like :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My bass hangs lower not by intention of looking cool but by my continuous misjudgment of my height!

I got a "standard " length strap and it’s on its smallest setting…should have gone for the small :grin:

3 Likes

Everything in the first 1:30 is everything about bass technique.
Relax.
Pay attention to the body.
Your comfort/flexibility trumps orthodoxy.

Very cool stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah I feel that. I ordered US size large by mistake and now even at shortest it is hanging too low. I have been pulling out some excess of the strap and fixing with some bag clips (really nasty) I will take it to a tailor when I manage to stay a couple of days without playing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was in the same situation, my first strap was way too long, because I had no idea what I was buying at the time. It took me half a year to buy a shorter strap, but I wish I had done it a lot sooner. My fretting hand would have thanked me.

2 Likes

On the other hand a long enough strap can simplify your playing :

I doubt he could even reach the G and D strings…not that he would use them for anything!

2 Likes

Hey @locket, I actually do cover some non-slap topics in the slap module of the course, so I’d recommend you just go through it fingerstyle!

Works fine for some people. It just means no double thumbing later on (without changing your technique). Also, I personally prefer the sound of thumb-up slappers, I can often feel and hear a difference. (although Bromberg sounds just fine in that video @joergkutter shared!)

4 Likes