If you could have 3 basses

Current:
Yamaha TRBX604 - bright and rich sounding modern active/passive dual humbucker
Warwick Rockbass Streamer LX4 - Warwick-sounding (bright, modern-growly) active EQ P/J

So, I don’t have a more classic, vintage sounding bass. If I were buying a third, the requirements I would look at:

• It would definitely have a P pickup
  • It would definitely have a passive mode
  • It might only have a P pickup

If I were to make a list of the top three contenders, they would be (in order):

• Yamaha BB734A - it’s just too damn good. BB434 would work too.
  • Yamaha SBV-550 if one magically turned up, great tone, love them.
  • MIJ Fender P-bass (price/performance beats MIA for me.)

but in reality I am actually trying to sell my way back down to just the TRBX604 :slight_smile:

4 Likes
  1. Fender American Professional Jazz Bass
  2. An acoustic Fender Kingman Bass
  3. A revolving slot for trying new and different stuff

I would need a few more years before I could definitely say even positions 1 and 2 were locked in.

5 Likes

Yeah there’s that too. In a year of looking I have found exactly two bass lines I would ever upgrade my TRBX to - some of the Ibanez premiums like the SR2400, or a Dingwall Afterburner/Combustion/etc.

On the other hand if I were keeping two basses I could swap out my Warwick for anything on my “next up” list there. I like the Warwick a lot for a lot of things but it’s not a permanent keeper like the TRBX.

3 Likes

I’m hoping for a major payout in the near future @BigAl so I may well grab one of those short scale basses. I can feel a real bad case of GAS coming on or more like a real must have feeling :+1:

4 Likes

Ya have gas here too? :exploding_head:

5 Likes

GAS is universal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t I know it. Wifey has to smack me on the back of the head to keep me from licking the monitor screen when I cruise Reverb :woozy_face:

6 Likes

Hey @TwangTown,
I think it comes down to one’s personality,
To pick 3 basses would be difficult.
I agree with @terb,
Number 1 would be my 76 P-bass
Number 2would be my 79 P-bass
Number 3 would be my 79 4001 Ricky.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I always chuckle when Harley owners refer to their bike as their “harley”. :smile_cat:

Of all the bikes and different brands I’ve owned, I never bought a Harley. I’ve ridden them and demoed them, but never cared much for them. To each his own, of course.

2 Likes

I was always a rice burner rider until I got my first Harley,a hardtail chop but that was left in the UK when I moved to Oz.
Once here I bought a 1990 modded FXRS lowrider which I still own.Then 2 years ago I bought a Night Rod. 240 rear tyre, and a host or custom parts . 0 -160 at the blink of an eye but it never felt like a Harley. Didn’t really sound like one even with a race exhaust on it. I love that bike but with rent to pay and off work due to an accident it had to go.
The old girl will get some attention now and hopefully I’ll be back on the road as soon as my meds stop causing these damn dizzy spells :weary:

2 Likes

And yes some Harley owners a bit “special “ :joy::joy::joy:
I tended not to associate with that type. I always have been unsociable :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Thats my problem I always have GAS :fuelpump:. Good thing i have a wife that likes to see me happy. But im getting to the point were I need to stop​:raised_hand: . Still would like to get a ball bass from. Cliff and that Spector custom shorty. Later than sooner.

3 Likes

I heard your wife say something like “Sell that Orange wash Sterling and you can get whatever you want”. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then the alarm clock went off, time to wake up.

4 Likes

Morning,
Your too funny :rofl: :joy::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

God loves a trier @T_dub :joy:

I’m really trying to not buy anymore basses atm and possibly save my cash for something boutique. I’m really thinking burl walnut etc etc.
However, what I’ve really got to concentrate on is practice,practice,practice

5 Likes

Get it in where I can fit it in. :rofl:

4 Likes

Contrary to you, I don’t have any interest whatsoever in getting lots of instruments and I rather focus on mastering my instruments one at a time. Most people like to show off their instruments rather than their skills and I dislike that mentality and to be honest I see having more than 2 basses at a time as pure and empty American consumism. Nevertheless I would be eventually interested in getting a P bass as it offers a very distinctive sound to that of a J bass.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @csalamanca05,
Enjoy the ride.
Some people collect coins, stamps, whatever?
I don’t call that consumerism?
Vintage basses could be classed in the same category, each to their own.
Cheers Brian

11 Likes

Welcome @csalamanca05!

4 Likes

I presently have two. My 1983 Pedulla Buzz fretless 4-string J-J (my number one since the early 1990’s) , and a modded 2020 Sterling by MusicMan Ray 4 as a fretted bass and for gigs that I wouldn’t want to take my now irreplacable vintage Pedulla.
I want to pick up a 5-String as well, seriously considering the Yamaha TRBX 505.
I’ve read all kinds of great things about them.
I played a TRBX in a music store when I was in Salina, KS about a year ago. I liked the feel of it, but they did not have a single bass amp in the store for me to plug it into! I might have been able to bargain for an even lower price since I think that shop was going out of business soon, but I didn’t want to get stuck with it if I didn’t like it plugged in. They have sort of proprietary pickup dimensions.

6 Likes