I am a keyboard player who is finally “getting serious” about learning to play bass after owning a couple of basses 20 years ago. I recently purchased a Fender American Performer Jazz Bass and I’m happy with it… but I’m curious about other basses.
I notice that almost nobody owns only one bass. I suspect there are a few reasons for this:
- Different basses sound different and a bass player wants a larger tonal palette than a single bass would provide.
- 4 string vs. 5 string. (Sometimes you just want that low B string - but you may not always want to play a five-string.)
- Second bass with an alternate tuning (lowered so E isn’t the lowest pitch)
- Maybe a short-scale just to have something fun and different.
- The addictive nature of it all as it applies to musical instruments, camera gear, guns, tatoos, bicycles, motorcycles, watches, etc. (anybody with one of those things wants more than one)
So, all of that to set up my question:
If you could have three (and only three) basses, what basses would you get and why?
Thanks for considering this question. I expect to learn a lot from those who care to contribute.
Cliff in TwangTown