I'm a design student trying to design a new bass guitar for a college assignment. Please help out

Yes, teak wood is quite heavy and it is prone some neck dive. But after a while you get used to it. I originally wanted to use a lighter wood like alder but i couldn’t source it and other woods were just too expensive for me. And you are absolutely right about the placement of strap buttons. I’ll have to be very carefull in its place. I really appreciate the comments you have given and the suggestions as well. I’ll definitely tell you if I get a good grade:D

2 Likes

Great job! Congrats.
My only question is: What were your three priorities within the design concept?

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment.:blush:
I was mostly thinking about ergonomics, versatility and a bit of a modern retro design.
All the contours and cutouts on the bass are fully functional.

2 Likes

as an amusing tangent (but in no way useful), where i teach (RIT), the industrial design BFA capstone had i think 2 or 3 guitar designs in the show.

equally a useless tangent, the former head of the ID program designed a guitar pedal called Mother Tongue that i recently found out about - he is a friend so i need to see how it works on bass:

3 Likes

Haha that is so weird and cool!

1 Like

There are so many approaches and personal preferences to the design of a guitar, particularly a large bass guitar, that coming up with the perfect solution is impossible. Furthermore a user’s approach may vary so much in relation to a luthier’s who would probably part from an acoustical point of view.
Personally I think it’s a great exercise and I only feel tempted to “clean up and simplify or unify” some lines/shapes without changing your concept.
It’s perfect for a vintage-style blue foam shape study…

1 Like

Wow @Al1885 you are inside my head here. All perfect suggestions.

1 Like

Looks a lot like a d-roc :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used the AI to create something that i think is truly innovative and revolutionary (it’s not even close to what I asked for):

AI seems to be very adept at creating nightmare fuel for fever dreams :laughing:

3 Likes

:joy: I’m not even gonna ask

1 Like

I told it “create a bass guitar that looks like a large mouth bass”

I also got these:

So far, I don’t think any graphic artists are in danger of losing their jobs :thinking: unless the job description is “create some random weird stuff that makes me ask a lot of question”.

2 Likes

It is heavily inspired by a d-roc. So a slight resemblance is there.

1 Like

I will not sleep tonite…

1 Like

I tried “a horrific scary nightmare creature that will eat you in your sleep” and i might not be sleeping either :joy: :joy: :joy:

Yep, time to stop.

Based on the code they generate I have zero fear for my job.

2 Likes

Back in college my roommate used to print out the weather report daily from this new thing called the ‘internet’. It was literally the most useful thing you could do with it.
Don’t fear today, fear tomorrow.

Definitely a much better way to go. The beauty in simplicity.
Speaking of beauty, your pickguard is really cool. Did you customize that yourself?

No they’re a company in South Korea. I bought it via Etsy. Really good quality.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/STORMGUITAR?section_id=33103619