Importing mp4p songs to Logic Pro x

How can I import a protected song file and remove the bass in Logic Pro x? I just want to record myself jamming with it for practice purposes. Thanks

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @LesterH.
Sorry, I don’t know your answer, but I am sure somebody that knows Logic Pro X will chime in soon.

3 Likes

Use the EQ to bring it down, not sure you can fully remove it.

4 Likes

Is this question about removing the bass, or about getting Logic to import a m4p?

m4p’s are encrypted and DRMed by iTunes, so it might not be possible to import them into Logic directly.

4 Likes

I’ve given up trying to import those files into anything. I think your best option is to play the song on your phone for example and record that on your MacBook into a non-protected format, and then use that file as your backing track.

But if you find a simpler solution then let me know too…

4 Likes

Thanks @T_dub I figured I could just adjust the EQ but the issue I keep running into is all of the files are protected MP4P and I cannot import them into Logic Pro x. So I either need a work around or some type of converter for the file I presume. I was hoping someone might have the magic quick fix.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if Logic can do this but other DAWs can use the computer audio output as a loopback input source. So, you just set the audio out as your input, press record on a track, and then play the music in any other app on the computer.

I’m betting Logic can do this, but I don’t own it so I can’t say.

3 Likes

@howard @akos thanks I have been struggling with this for a while with these protected files. I mean I get the copyright issues but I just wanted to be able to evaluate my performance with the song. I have been playing guitar for 30 years but picked up the bass just because I love it so much. Now I am primarily playing bass y’all got me hooked. I thought about recording my phone through my audio interface and doing it that way then possibly adjusting the EQ so I will give that a try. Thanks for all the great input

4 Likes

I’d try to see if Logic can be set to use the Mac audio out as its input. That’s probably your best bet. Good luck!

Here’s one person doing it with GB and a third app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWd-s3YbHY

Logic can probably do it without the third app.

5 Likes

Thank you for this I am looking into this right now

3 Likes

Songs on iTunes are no longer protected by DRM, only streaming from Apple Music. You can pay the $1.29 for the song you are working on and have an unprotected copy.

4 Likes

@DaveT yes I think that is true I use Apple Music so I would need to purchase about 30 songs for our current set list. However I did download the free version of loop back program and recorded with it. It does limit you on the free version so I have options now which is a huge plus thank you all for the advice

4 Likes

You could maybe load the protected file into Transcribe! and export as .mp3?

3 Likes

Another great option or get around is connect from your Mac headphone jack into your audio interface then play the song from iTunes and hit record on logic.

Cloud Convert is what I use and works well too.

I would just use a loopback audio driver myself, play it in iTunes, record in the DAW. I do this all the time for other audio sources, would work fine with this.

2 Likes

Loopback is a great program. However you are cheap like me lol you can find workarounds for most of this stuff.

1 Like

Windows and Linux have built in loopback audio :slight_smile:

1 Like