Imposter syndrome & shame - coping, sharing, overcoming

Tom Morello shares some wisdom in this interview on playing in front of people which is on point

2 Likes

I wonder how many bass players have made lots of money just playing roots, 5ths and octaves and sometimes minor 3rds. I think a whole generation of punk rock bands made mucho dinero and were not that good on their instruments and would tell you they weren’t that good. I am happy with what I can do. Being almost 60 gives me a perspective that a younger me would scoff at. We are not racing anyone to be better or faster. We are now only racing against time and ourselves. I wish I had picked up bass years ago. But sadly I didn’t. Am I impersonating someone? No, I am only playing for my satisfaction at the moment. There aren’t many calls for a fat, bald 60 year old pretty bass player. But it no longer matters. I just want to be able to play songs and work on crap for my own enjoyment.

16 Likes

as some if you know i give talks, workshops, etc as part of my job as a professor. my current talk is all about exactly this subject — hence why it is called “i have no idea’ what i’m doing” — all about 'impostor syndrome" and trying stuff i suck at doing. if you want to give a watch it was recorded last spring (talk is about 30 mins, the rest is Q&A):

5 Likes

6wfbko

6 Likes

but its 1 hour and 39 mins of me being AWESOME

8 Likes

No doubt. I’m definitely checking it out, Mitch. Everyone can use some more knowledge.

3 Likes

@Barney , Barney, Barney … :rofl:

4 Likes

I think probably everything has already been said in this thread. I’d just like to highlight what you wrote here:

Both those people in your life and you yourself are correct. Yes, there are without a doubt people that are better at playing bass, and music, than you are right now or possibly ever will be. This is true for everything that you do. Unless you are the undisputed world champion, someone is going to be better than you. And even if you are the world champion, someone will eventually surpass you.

BUT! You are also this person to look up to, this source of inspiration maybe even, to someone who has just started playing an instrument, or to someone who would like to do so one day, but is afraid to start because they think they are too old to learn, or because they think they don’t have the talent, or whatever other bullshit reason.

The trick, of course, is not minding that you are a toddler banging on pans. I understand that can be difficult. I also think you are most likely being way too hard on yourself. So, keep muddling through B2B, and I promise you that you will surprise yourself. And even if you turn out to be just a mediocre bass player, you’ll still be better than one who sucks.

Oh, and one more thing:

Please don’t. It really ties the room together.

10 Likes

@Barney almost killed me there.

4 Likes

Ba-dum-tish

Imposter syndrome just means you’re self aware. Everyone that is to some extent self aware has it to some similar extent I suspect.

The opposite phenomenon for those that aren’t was documented by Dunning and Krueger :rofl:

7 Likes

Or Nickelback.

4 Likes

Myself, I have always loved music. Never played anything as a kid. My parents did not support anything growing up, pretty much just taught us right from wrong, and to leave them alone.
At 18 I got Married, joined the Army and was gone for 12 years.
Bought my son a drum kit when he wanted to learn and 6 months of lessons.
When my son lost intrest after a month, I took the remaining lessons and loved it. Jammed with friends a few times and it was a natural high.
Now trying the bass, my elbow wont let me play drums anymore.
Im 62 and im going nowhere musically. I only know the feeling I had years ago making music and would love to get together and jam again. I dont care what I play, I like most all music.
Would absolutly love to perform a song for my wife and daughter, im sure I will never do it, but it drives me forward.

6 Likes

I tell you what I will promise though @mgoldst post anything in the 'Post your covers! or Post your practice fragments! or Post your original songs/compositions! and I will enjoy watching it from end to end. Scouts Honour :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@mgoldst - if you don’t post a cover that fades over to your above talk video in the middle and then back to the end of the cover you are missing a great opportunity here.

4 Likes

C3gLDmXUcAAsMgZ

3 Likes

I have to add to this that, if my teenage self could see me playing the bass right now, he’d be pretty think it was pretty cool.

6 Likes

I don’t know if what I feel is imposter syndrome, but I definitely have moments of asking myself: What am I actually doing here? And: Who am I kidding?

I wanted to play bass since I was 11 and it lasted for years, but my father didn’t agree at the time. In his opinion, it was an “inappropriate” instrument for a girl, plus he considered bass “lame”. I had a choice of a classical guitar or nothing. It was so wrong. I quit after 2 years of attending to a music school.
Then in my second year at uni (I was 20) I was close to a boy who played the electric guitar (for ~5 years and he considered himself very good). I shared my story with him - about my unfulfilled dream and asked what he thought about it, if I could start now. And he - my friend, almost a boyfriend - scoffed at me. That I’m obviously stupid, that it’s too late to learn, proper time was at high school etc. And he told me to take care of more serious matters. As I considered him an authority figure, I gave up thinking about it for almost 14 years.

Having more life experience now (I am 35,), I know that as we only live once, we should do what we love and try hard to make our dreams come true. But I also know that I will NEVER be a REAL musician, I will never be a bassist. Because for that, it is truly too late.
(I call myself a person trying to play bass. )
I’ve actually come to terms with it, but I still feel so out of place when I go to the guitar center or even while having lesson with my teacher (who is a real artist).

Important note: it only concerns me and hope I will not offend anyone!!

The photo illustrates me, while visiting the guitar center

11 Likes

I am so sorry that two different men in authority positions steered you so very very badly. That’s awful.

7 Likes

I did not stand a chance with my father
(I wasn’t getting pocket money and in Poland paid work for children under 16 is illegal), but I regret that I listened to my friend. I was very young, very naive, and had very little life experience.

7 Likes