Post your original songs/compositions!

everything is in the title.

I guess I have to start and I’ll post one thing that’s more a test than anything else. this thing started as a test of a hardware drumbox I have (Digitech Trio) and I started layering some guitar and bass tracks to see if it would work. of course I play all the instruments.

well it’s more a post-desert-rock mess than a real song but here it is :

some Fender Precision Bass involved :grin: some modded BDI21 involved as well …

27 Likes

Yes.
This sounds gloriously fun to play and make.
Bravo, and more I say.

4 Likes

probably more “fun” than “good” :grin:

2 Likes

Heck yeah @terb - pushing us to the limit here. It may be awhile before I’m composing purely original work worthy of posting, but it’ll be right here when I’m ready!

3 Likes

starting with what I posted, the level is not very high :joy:

1 Like

Pretty damn cool @terb! Mysterious with a slight bit of darkness that draws one in and stimulates a bit of personal imagination…

I can hear this composition being played as a background soundtrack in a video game.

Bravo my friend!
Lanny

3 Likes

Nice one, @terb! I will try to contribute soon :smile:

2 Likes

Wednesday is a slooooow day here; so no better time than this to contribute to @terb’s new thread. The only challenge is that I recently haven’t been super creative in the “composed and performed/recorded entire songs” department… Thus, I link an original composition of mine (with some help from my band mates), which, however, is from 1988 (!) and also has me on drums (and NOT on bass). So, please keep in mind, as you listen, how young we all were in 1988 :grin:(@JoshFossgreen was probably not even born yet, or, at least, not big enough to hold a bass yet :smile:)
(Usual disclaimers: recorded “for fun” in the rehearsal room, on tape(!) the analog way, somewhat resurrected and shined up a little by Audacity) - here is “So What” and the band was called “dejazzed”:

12 Likes

Sounds really good, @joergkutter! . . . :+1: . . . I like the way you varied your approach as well as the tonal settings you used.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, Joe :smile:

2 Likes

that’s great @joergkutter, I like this song :slight_smile: it reminds me something but I can’t see exactly what … I think a few notes remind me a manga soundtrack !

2 Likes

Hehe, yes, maybe… there are some vintage 80’s synth sounds after all :grin:

2 Likes

Hahaha… Must be some sort of virus going around because I too haven’t been to overly creative in any new music compositions these last few weeks… Got all of my acoustic and electric guitars, amps, keyboard, drum machine, and even my banjo out scattered around for me to look at, but nothing has “struck” me quite yet…

Sure did enjoy listening to yours @joergkutter! Thanks for sharing!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Thanks, @Lanny! Hope to hear one of your own compositions pretty soon here! Good luck with the “writer’s block”!!

2 Likes

@terb and @joergkutter Thanks a lot you guys for sharing your work. Keep it coming!

2 Likes

Here is an original demo tune I am working on. I like to write and practice riffs using tracks from an online drummer (Jim Dooley) He has a ton of drum tracks posted on his site and also on his Youtube channel. Since you can try things out with different genres and tempos, it’s a great way to experiment and find something that works with whatever I am creating. Working with drum tracks has also really helped with my timing, since the only thing I hear through the headphones is simply drums and bass. (as opposed to playing along to a cover with a bunch of other instruments).

9 Likes

Very nice, @lee_editorial! Like the clean sound of your bass - lets you hear that you have good technique (as far as I can tell)!

You should look into providing your basslines for the, I think, three bassline “challenges” we had so far. There are some chords there along with the drums, but I can’t imagine that being any hurdle for you!

2 Likes

@joergkutter
Nice Joerg! You guys definitely embodied that 80s vibe somewhere between jazz and pop. (which I guess is understandable since this was actually created in the 80s!) Wish I had started back then- that is my only regret… just started this musical journey about 2 years ago at age 56. Back in high school and college, all I had was time and could have devoted a ton of that spare time learning the bass! Have you played in other bands since then, or just recently getting back into it?

2 Likes

@terb
A Tide of Silence… Love how things slow down around 1:35 and then slowly build back up with more guitar layers!

2 Likes

Thanks, Lee!

Yes, this would be my “regret”, if any, but I guess I share this with many in here. In between ages mid-30s and mid-50s, life happened and I didn’t have time and/or opportunities to play music. Obviously, I really missed it and last year, I took the plunge and started playing bass - best thing I have done in a loooooong time! When I was younger I played in three bands for a while (dejazzed (drums), a jazz combo (sax), and a bigband (sax)) - that was perhaps a bit too much, but great fun! Loved playing both the drums and the sax, but bass is just so much cooler than drums, and more versatile than sax!

Keep us posted on the progress of your demo!

1 Like